1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 4040b won't write to or format cdrw or dvdrw

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by clifton51, Mar 12, 2005.

1. clifton51

clifton51 Member

My turn for problems!
    All of a sudden my LG 4040B drive will not format cdrw's or copy files to DVD+RW (or -RW). It will quite happily read from previously formatted cdrw's..and write files to them, but totally ignores DVDRW's. Try to send a file to it and it sits there forever saying that it is 'preparing the files'.
    This is occuring using Roxio 6, Roxio 7 & Nero 6. I have upgraded the Drives firmware to A304 without making any difference. I never had any problems with Roxio 5, and when I upgrade to Roxio 6 for DVD support all was OK, until I went to format a new CDRW. I then tried writing to a DVD+RW..no luck. I borrowed a copy of Nero 6...same result. Off to another friend to borrow a copy of Roxio 7..still no luck. All programs know the discs are there and report them accurately..just will not write to them. Nero attempted to format a cdrw, but ejected it after a few seconds, calling it an 'illegal disc'! Roxio went off into 'Neverneverland' when attempting to format a cdrw. Roxio's 'Drag to Disc' just hangs there telling me it is 'preparing the files' when attempting to transfer them to a DVD+RW.
    The drive is multi format, reading and writing to cdr, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD RAM..and supposedly DVD+ & - RW.
    My system is running XP with SP1, with 512M RAM, 2x80GB drives on one line and the DVD drive on another line. Oter than the new software, nothing has changed. And, yes I have had XP SP2 on before and the result was the same, and no, I am not going to put it back on as it is a pain in the butt.
    Is this problem an excuse to upgrade to a nice new DVD writer?

2. mrman

mrman Regular member

I have the same drive and have never had a single problem with it. I have heard that sometimes having nero and roxio installed can cause some kind of problems. Try uninstalling both of them all together and then just reinstall one of them to burn with.

3. clifton51

clifton51 Member

Thanks, mrman, but there is only one program on the PC at a time. Roxio 7 uninstalled Roxio 6 before it installed itself. I did remove Roxio 6 before installing Nero and then removed that before putting R6 back on again. Currently I am back to R6 and formatting CDRWs on another computer (using R6), but I did really want to copy video files to a DVDRW to test before burning them to DVD. Ah well...thanks again.