1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 50PK550 Plasma

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Oilersguy, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Oilersguy

Oilersguy Member

Hey, I just purchsed this TV yesterday, not set-up yet though, anyone have one of these?...is there a "break-in" period for it?...I was told this TV has a calibration Wizard function on it but searching differnt forums it looks like mmost people don't bother with it and do other calibration methods, not sure why though.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I have a sister model of that particular set and what I did, I played "colorful" full-screen (i.e. no black bars) movies, such as Avatar for couple of days 24h/d to get past the "break-in" period.

It'll take some time after that until the "ghosting" disappears/vanishes, but after that, you have an excellent, excellent TV .. not to mention, cheap :)

3. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

don't ever buy a plasma tv. plasma is a gas and it leaks out of your set ( takes a few years) the gas can not be replaced. so you will have through away tv. but to each his own.

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Plasma TV holds gas in its chambers / "pixels", but the only way those (harmless, might I add) gases can "leak" out of their chambers is by putting a screwdriver through your TV set. At which point, your warranty is most likely void ;-) There is appx. volume of one nickel coin of gas in entire TV set and it is put in thousands of miniscule chambers, mixed with mercury. I.e. if, for some physical damage or otherwise, one chamber would "leak", you'd get a dead pixel, nothing else.