1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG-8164b cables NEED HELP FAST!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by crashiee, Apr 12, 2007.

1. crashiee

crashiee Guest

hey i just recently got my LG-8164b and it didnt come with the installing wires, is it suppose to come with the installing wires?what am i suppose to do? but i do have a USB 2.0 To IDE adapter cable and a external power adapter(external ac adapter) for the adapter. So is the only thing i need to do is hook up the USB 2.0 To IDE adapter cable to the IDE/PATA connector on the dvd rom, put in the ac adapter(the extra power) and then put the other end(usb) into my computer,(am i done isntalling it)? so i don't need any other wires or anything?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

You may have poor results if it is an older adapter, and you should have USB 2.0 ports on your computer ideally.

I don't know if you still have the instructions for the USB-to-IDE adapter, they may say something about what you should do with the jumper on the DVD drive. Most of these adapters need you to set the jumper to Master.

I read a review of such an adapter where some problems were shown up, the burner produced coasters unless the burning speed was kept right down to 2X. Actually, I found the same thing myself when I tried a cheap non-name adapter with my wife's laptop, but I can get 8X burns on my desktop.

http://www.dansdata.com/usbadapt.htm

That happened to me. It seems pretty usual.

All you would need to fit it internally is an 80-wire IDE cable which would cost about $5-$10 and is available in many places. Connect the blue end to the the motherboard. Jumper the burner as master and place it on an unused secondary IDE channel for best results. Connect up the power lead you'll find coming from the PSU and you're good to go.

3. 1773

1773 Regular member

u should be fine

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  4. crashiee

crashiee Guest

ok i connected it to my computer by the usb and ac adapter, there is a problem thoe, when it detects the device after it says probrlem during installation hardware mite not work properly. i cannot get this to install. help me out pleas!!!!!

and the steps to install say make sure it is master not slave and i dunt know how to do that

5. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

there is a jumper on the back of the drive that covers 2 pins out of 6 pins. there is 3 sets of 2pins, each set represents either master, slave or cable select. these pins are usually located between the audio connector & the ide connector.

6. crashiee

crashiee Guest

i got it to connect somtimes and it installs it, but when i put a dvd in there it freezes and then the drive is like uninstalled. and i do have .net Framework 2.0 installed

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2007
  7. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

does your pc have usb2 in it & if so, does it show in device manager?

8. 1773

1773 Regular member

it does have usb 2 and it does not show in device manager

9. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

no enhanced host controller in the universal serial bus controllers in device manager?

10. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I told him cheap adapters were crap...