1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lg dvd players 'disc error'

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by niksta, May 15, 2006.

1. niksta

niksta Member

this message of 'disc error' is driving me insane. My lg dvd player won't play certain cds, constantly giving me a 'disc error' message. The cds aren't copied or have any scratches on them. Can anyone put me out of my misery and tell what is happening?????

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Is this a new player or have you been using it for some time?

If it is new, you might want to take it back for replacement.

When you say it won't play certain cds do you mean cd or do you mean dvds as well? Dvd players will run music cds, but may only play dvd-r format or dvd+r format disks; some play both formats.

But you did say not copied. Purchased dvds should play in all machines if clean and undamaged. Probably have a broken player or bad disks. Try the disks that won't play in another machine.

3. niksta

niksta Member

The problem I'm having is with music cds not DVDs. It's strange how a regular cd which you buy from any generic music store won't play on a regular player.

Unfortunately it's 3 years old and out of warranty.

Bring back the old days when appliances lasted forever!!!!

4. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

If the disks that don't play for you check ok in another player, I would be suspect of the LG player. You could try one of those laser cleaning disks. If that does not clear up the problem, then the laser is probably worn/bad. They do wear out sooner or later. Unfortunately sometimes sooner. The good news is that you should be able to get a good DVD player that handles ALL formats to include music and pictures in the $50 - $60 range that comes with a warranty.

Your symptoms sound like when the SuperDisk drive went out on my old computer. It was supposed to read regular 3.5 inch floppies and 120mb SuperDisks. A clever gadget in its time. Anyway, it quit reading the Supers and told me they needed to be formatted. Still read the regular 3.5s just fine. It was a worn out laser in the disk drive. Only way to fix was to replace the whole unit.