1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG GSA 1460B won't burn slow enough for my computer. And other burning help!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DjEclipse, Dec 7, 2004.

1. DjEclipse

DjEclipse Guest

Hi all, great website. I’ve been reading a few threads and it seems that ScubaPete is the expert of all experts so I figured I'd ask my question here :)

I have a new LG GSA 1460B.

I was having trouble with it making DVDs that skipped like crazy, I was using DVD shrink and I tried burning with DVD shrink, Nero, making an ISo and burning with Alcohol, a bunch of different kinds of media and nothing worked. SO I took it back and they replaced it.

This new one seems to work better but I haven’t had a chance to really test it.
    I was reading this thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129338 and saw ScubaPete's post about DVD identifier, media etc.

Anyway for my question. This derive is supposed to burn from 1x to 16x and I realize that this is dependant on the type of media.

But my problem is that with some discs I can only burn as slow as 4x and some only 2x, I don't even have the option of burning at 1x which is what it's supposed to be capable of.

Reason for wanting to burn slow is my comp is kind of old. It's an AMD durron 952Mhz and 768MB of ram.

I stuck these discs that I was only able to burn at the slowest speed of 4x into DVD identifier and got this information....

And for drive capabilities with these discs

Now why is it that the DISCS are able t go as slow as 1x and 2x but the "drive capabilities" say I can only burn at 4x or 8x? Why can't burn at 2x or 1x?

On a side note, these are non branded discs but say Tayio Yuden, they may be good but they are useless to me as I can't burn at 4x, my computer isn't fast enough.

Question #2.

Is it passable to start in safe mode and burn a DVD? I think some of my problem is that not all of my computers "power" is going towards burning the DVD and I think that may also be a factor to my skipping/pausing /non-readable burns. How can I have it so that only the programs necessary for burning are working when I am burning? (I already turn off Mcaffe).

Thanks.

Oh ya, one more question. My burner is an LG GSA-1460B but why does it say HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4160B for the drive?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2004
  2. DjEclipse

DjEclipse Guest

Anyone? Is it my burner?

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The burn speed is solely dictated by the firmware of the drive so for whatever reason your drive is deciding 1X isn't appropriate for that media. Have you updated the firmware to the latest version? Doing this may also clear up the skipping you encounter when burning at 4X.

Even though your PC's specs are low you should be able to burn at 4X no problem. Have you watched to buffer levels during the burn? If they stay relatively full during the burn you should be fine at the speed you're currently burning at.

If you're worried about system resources I'd run both AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy to clear out any spyware that may be sucking up resources as well as dsefragment to keep the hard drive from working too hard.

I doubt burning from Safe Mode will make a significant difference when you can also open task manager and look at the processes that are currently running. Many times there will be things running that don't need to be so you can check out which ones are using the most memory and shut them down if you know what they are and if they're needed.

The difference in the drive name is not unusual. They usually "streamline" the name for the box because some of them can otherwise be a real mouthful :)

4. DjEclipse

DjEclipse Guest

Nephilim, thanks for the reply.

My old burner had the newest firmwear for the drive and it acted the same way, it would only want to burn at 4x and 8x for some discs and others only 2x, never 1x. I had so many problems with that burner and firmwear that i'm afraid to update the firmwear on this burner. At least with this burner/firmware I am able to get the DVD player to read the discs.

I just defragged today and run spybot and ad-aware regulairly. When burning at 2x with nero the bufer level is between 95-98% and when using alcohol it never uses more then 35% of the cpu, most of the time it's at 10%. And even when they're like this it makes skipping DVD's.

When opening task manager tere are so many things running, like 38 processes. I have no idea what they are though, how do I know what I need and don't need?

after reading this site I now realize that my memorex discs aren;t that great for making DVD's. I'll go out and find some good media recomended by this site and see how it goes. That's why I'd like to use the Taiyo Yuden media but I'd like to be able to burn at 2x not 4x.

Is there a way to start in safe modw? How is it doen? because even at idle my comp. is at 25-30% cpu usage sometimes.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Well if your buffers are staying full I doubt the problem is going to be affected by shutting down processes or booting into safe mode. These would be options if the buffers were emptying but you never know so it may be worth a shot for cutiosity's sake so to get into safe mode (assuming you're running XP)try this:

Start > Run > type msconfig > under the General tab select Diagnostic Startup then reboot.

Try this then post back and we'll go from there :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  6. DjEclipse

DjEclipse Guest

Ok thanks! I'll try that when i get home from work.

7. mentorron

mentorron Member

I run an LG GSA-1640B on a Celeron 500 (LX440 chipset) with 66MHz front side bus, 224MB SDRAM, 50GB harddrive. I use Ulead's VideoStudio8 for MiniDV capture to DV-AVI, convert to MPEG2, author, burn (including no-write test burn) with no problems. My OpSys is Win98SE(DirectX 9c) with all MS patches.
    I have a separate partition for video. Windows is on a separate drive, VS8 is on a diff partition on the video drive. DMA is enabled on the burner and hard drives. The burner is Master on the 2nd IDE channel with my CD-ROM as Slave. So a Duron at almost twice the speed should work fine. I used Memorex DVD-R at 2X (the speed choice is made in VS8). Next time I might try a test burn at 4X (it costs nothing as no write takes place, just "fake" HD and DVD-ROM accesses). The LG is supposed to have burn protection built-in, but if the test burn doesn't show errors, the actual burn should be fine too. I do stop ALL processes except Explorer and Systray. You can download a trial run of VS8 from www.ulead.com

8. DjEclipse

DjEclipse Guest

Thanks for the replies guys! I ended up returning the burner in exchange for another one (same burner).

It's working well now and seems to make working DVD's even with the memorex 4x DVD's, I've also tried the FugiFilm 4x DVD-r's and they work great.. just a little expensive.

Thanks again for the help.. hopefully things will continue to work with this burner... I have no more DVD's to back up so I can't test it till I buy another DVD.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2005