1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG GSA-4040B FIRMWARE UPGRADE

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Gazcoigne, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

I HAVE JUST GOT THIS DRIVE AND I NEED TOUPGRADE THE FIRMWARE ON IT SO I CAN GET x4 SPEED WRITING (EVEN THOUGH IT MAKES COASTERS). IVE TRIED ALL OVER THE SHOW TO GET IT BUT I CANT FIND IT EVEN ON THE LG SITE. COULD SOMEONE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION?

2. petertr

petertr Member

There's new firmware Ver A300 available for GSA-4040B

I found it both at http://www.lgelectronics.co.uk/ and http://us.lgservice.com/ under:
    Home > Product Support > Device Driver "CD-RW"

Hiding it under CD-RW dosn't help!

I just got a new GSA-4040B a few days ago and it came with ver A104 firmware.

I've only used DVD+RW so burn was 2.4x, no problems so far.

A useful freeware tool is cdridentifier.exe
    it shows drive, firmware & media info.

I got it at http://cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/cdridentifier.cfm

Last edited: Sep 25, 2003
  3. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

thanks a lot for that. will reply with results once ive patched drive. the little tool you mentioned doesnt actually exist on the main website so i'll have to hunt for it.

4. Plaz

Plaz Guest

I have same drive, but unfortunately I'm at work and can't check my firmware. Could someone explain to me (noob) what exactly firmware is. It sounds like device drivers to me but I'm not sure. I just want to know what I'm messing with before I start upgrading it.
    thanks
    Plaz

5. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

I GOT THE FIRMWARE UPGRADE BUT THE EXE FILE WITH IT CANT FIND THE DRIVE EVEN THOUGH IVE FOLLOWED ALL INSTRUCTIONS AND CONNECTED IT TO THE SECONDARY IDE CHANEL AS A MASTER DRIVE ALONE. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? IT SAYS IT CANT FIND THE DRIVE EVEN THOUGH ITS WORKING PERFECTLY IN XP. HELP!!

6. DVDExpert

DVDExpert Guest

Well my friend first you must have only one rom drive connected to the motherboard and it must have a jumper pin on the back of it set to master. Well try booting in safe mode and doing the firmware update it might help

7. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

the safe mode thing worked. cheers

8. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Guest

There is a new firmware out for the LG GSA 4040B. (Its A301.) Its in the same place where petertr posted.

Btw: Does your DVD drive have to be connected to the secondary IDE channel as a master drive alone? (im sorta confused on the placement of my 4040b drive)
    I have 2 cd/dvd drives.
    1-LG 8481B is the master.
    2-LG GSA 4040B is the slave.
    Is this setup ok?

9. DVDExpert

DVDExpert Guest

NO your setup is not ok it should be like this:

Secondary Ide- Lg GSA-4040B as master with jumper pin set to master.

There must be no other cd-rom device connected to your motherboard except the lg GSA-4040b and it has to be set at master with jumper pin. Once you do this turn on your computer and try and do the update. If it still does not work reboot in safe mode and then try the update.

10. DVDExpert

DVDExpert Guest

Well simplyfing things yes your drive needs to be alone on secondary ide channel set as master.

11. stevcolx

stevcolx Member

I have a question on this drive. I am having problems burning Dvds on my Gsa 4040b. I'm using Easy Cd & Dvd Creator 6. It gets as far as the encoding process then ejects the Dvd+Rw disc and tells me I have a 'Disc Creation Error'

Anyone have any ideas?

Colin

12. DVDExpert

DVDExpert Guest

well first of all dont use roxio easy cd creator to burn or encode dvd discs ive never had good times with that program. What kind of movies you trying to burn, your personal home videos or movies? Get nero 6.0. It makes dvd videos alot better.

13. altimase

altimase Member

I have the gsa 4040b aswell and did the firmware update with no problems but when I used Dvd X Copy to test burn some of my dvd's on dvd+rw's I have been unable to use them with any other program. This happened before and after the update, however no problem burning in X Copy? Go Figure.

14. DVDExpert

DVDExpert Guest

State your real question. I need to know what you mean by unable to use them with any other program? You mean recording software right, Nero, Easy cd creator etc..?

15. altimase

altimase Member

Exactly, no other burning or ripping program will see the dvd+rw disc as useable media except Dvd X Copy and Nero says illegal disc when trying to erase. Can't figure it out, it's like something has been written to the disc that only X Copy can read.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2003
  16. stevcolx

stevcolx Member

Thanks guys. I uninstalled Easy Cd & Dvd Creator 6 and downloaded Nero 6. It worked. My brother gave me a copy of 'Finding Nero' which I saved to my hard drive and then burnt onto Dvd. Pity I wasted £50 buying Easy Cd.

Just need a good encoder now to burn my other movies. I use www.winmx.com to download movies and mp3's.