1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG GSA-4160B does not burn at it's max potential speed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jktang, Jan 12, 2005.

1. jktang

jktang Member

Hi everyone,

I recently bought an LG GSA-4160B 16X burner. So far its' been great, ripping a DVD in less than 15 minutes, and encoding in about 20-25 minutes. The only problem thus far is that when it begins to burn, it will only burn at a max of 4x. The max potential for my burner is 16X DVD+R, and 8X DVD-R. I am using BenQ 8X DVD+R discs, but DVD Shrink won't let my burn speed go above 4x. The only options in the drop down menu are maximum and 4x.

Does anyone know what the problem is? I currently have a CD burner hooked up as the master, and my DVD-RW as my slave - is this an issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

First of all I wouldnt recomend burning a back up any faster then 4x speed. thats fast enough. Slower the burn the better quility and chances of a good DVD backup.

But anywas what are you using to burn with after DVD Shrink does its work? Nero? Decrypter?

3. jktang

jktang Member

that's a valid point, but it was really the principle that it should burn faster than 4x.

the backups are fine, they're awesome quality, i was just concerned that there was something wrong with my burner. i think it may be the BenQ 8x DVD+R media I'm using though - it may only burn at 4x.

I've been using DVD Shrink, and the quality is fine, no problems there, it's just the speed. I have Nero but have yet to try it. I'll probably try that next though.

As for my drive, it's on DMA and not PIO, so I don't know what else to do? Do you know of any 8x media that truly burns at 8x (just so I can see if it's the media)?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

DVDShrink dosent burn your movie by itself. You either have, burn with Nero or DVD Decrypter enabled in DVD Shrink prefrences.

Go to that particler program and do a drive speed test to bring in the higher speed.

5. jktang

jktang Member

Ah, I see what you're saying.

I use DVD Decrypter to rip it to my hard drive. Can you change drive speed settings in Decrypter?

I have Nero also, but unless it communicates with Nero on it's own, I don't think that's it. I've never outright setup Nero in conjunction with DVD Shrink.

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

1 of the programs is burning the DVD Shrink Files to find out do this:

Open up DVD Shrink click on Edit/Prefrences/File I/O Tab.

If the box next to enable burn with nero is ticked then you are using Nero.

If not then do this:

After importing a DVD in DVD Shrink click backup. The back up window will pop up.

The window has a pull down menu for "Select backup Targets"

If it says in that pull down menu: "Iso Image file and burn with DVD decrypter" then you are using DVD Decrypter.

In Decrypter when you change to write mode there is a pull down menu to select drive speed there.

7. aznazn

aznazn Member

1 - did you upgrade the dvd rom firmwire?
    2 - is your burning software up to date?

8. jktang

jktang Member

it came with firmware A302 - i thought that was the most recent. IF it's not, can you give me the link to where I can find it?

i'm using the Nero burning software that came with my burner. It's OEM but i figured that didn't matter.

I've realized it's something with my computer/burner, because the media is fine. It's rated at 8x, and I've burned with it at 8x on another burner. :S

it may be my computer, i thought it met the specs required (2.5GHz or whatever), but it may not.

By the way, I burned with both Decrypter and Nero, and both only gave me speeds of 4x.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

9. Paladore

Paladore Member

I have the exact same problem as you but when i purchased some prodisks 8x and TY 8x they did burn at the proper speed. Ive used other no name brands and even maxells that said they were 8x but only would burn at 4x. I think that the LG burner if not upgraded is picky about the media.

10. jktang

jktang Member

But I know that the BenQ media I have burns at 8x...so it's not the media?

11. Paladore

Paladore Member

Don't know but friend of mine uses the exact same disks I have and he can burn his at 8x but i can only burn them at 4x.

12. daveski

daveski Member

i have the exact same burner you mentioned, and i too have this problem. i am also using Benq media (looks like we think alike!). i tried a Maxell DVD-R and it did burn at 8x. for me anyways, it's just the BenQ's.

13. silent85

silent85 Member

I have the same burner and it works perfectly fine. I belive DVD Shrink only burns at 4x so if you want to burn faster u got to go to Nero manually instead of auto.

14. shazzaka

shazzaka Member

I also have the LG GSA-4160B 16x Burner, and have not been able to burn over 4x using BenQ 8x DVD+Rs OR Kodak 8x DVD+Rs

I am curious as to how i can check if the drive is running DMA4 and other things i can do to help solve the problem.

15. harrassa

harrassa Member

Hi pplz, I also have one of these drives and I am having trouble getting the thing to burn at full speed to. However my problem is that I cannot get the damn thing to operate in DMA mode. Windows (XP Pro) won't let me select DMA mode, PIO mode only.

I have an abit TH7-RAID mobo with 4 ATA 100 Channels, 2 of which are RAID. I have the burner connected to the primary non RAID channel by itself, with a UDMA100 cable. I have 2 60GB HDD's on the secondary RAID channel as an array. I have the latest mobo drivers, latest burner firmware and the bios settings are all fine (according to the manual), but the bastard still refuses to run in DMA mode.

Have I missed somthing ? Obviously I have but what?

I have been working on a solution on and off now for about 3 months, PLEASE HELP !

16. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member