1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG / Kodak compatibility problem?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by Pearson, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Pearson

Pearson Member

Hi! I've been a member since March 2002, but this will be my fist post over here. Better late than never...

I've asked this question over at the Hydrogen Audio forums, but I thought it couldn't hurt to see if anyone here had some advice on this matter too.

I bought a massive amount of Kodak CDRs from a webstore, since I knew they were running out, and I've always been fully satisfied with Kodak discs.

This time, however, there were problems. While the burning process went smoothly, all the discs from this batch were more or less unreadable. The data errors seems to occus on the second half of the disc. If I let Nero check written data after the burning has finished, error always start to occur after between 50 and 60% of the scanning. When making audio discs the last couple of tracks are unplayable.

Now, the funny thing is that these discs works fine when burned on other burners. And all other brands I've tested - including older Kodak CDRs I still have left - works perfectly when burned on my burner.

It has been suggested that certain combinations of CDR brands and burners doesn't work together. What do you think?

I'm using a LG 40x/12x/40x burner and Nero 5.5.7.6.

This is the ATIP info from the problematic Kodak discs:

ATIP: 97m 27s 45f
    Disc Manufacturer: Kodak Japan Ltd.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 650.83MB (74m 05s 01f / LBA: 333226)

(Allthough the disc itself says it's been manufactured in Mexico)

And I apologize if this kind of question has been asked before, but I didn't find anything in the archives.

2. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

I haven't had my LG burner too long, but from what I've read, LG's do not have as wide a range of media compatability as say a LiteON.

It's strange that a large manufacturer like LG isn't compatible with a quality media company like Kodak.

Have you tried to see if there is a firmware update?

3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Whats the speed certificate of the Kodaks and how fast are you burning them?

4. Pearson

Pearson Member

I did update the firmware yesterday, using the update available at LG:s website (version 1.04), but unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. There seems to be yet a newer version of the firmware circulating at firmware sites (1.04), but I'm hesitant to try it since LG apparently doesn't promote that version.

The discs are certified for 1-12x, and I'm burning them at 8x, which is the slowest speed supported for CD-Rs by the burner.

The burner is of model GCE-8400B.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2003
  5. fallen_br

fallen_br Member

I have the same burner and those discs work just fine if burnt @ 24x.

Have not tried lower speeds and it will not go higher for those discs.

I have tested both the normal Kodaks, rated 12x, and the golds.

6. mr_lemon

mr_lemon Member

Hi,

I have the SAME LG Burner and it seems to work fine with the Kodak Gold 24x disks i have here.

Ive burned em at 8x, 16x, 24x and i think i even tried em at 32x and it worked with no data issues, but recommend u stick to 16x or 24x.

You might have a hardware issue. Go into ur Device Manager and uninstall your LG 8400, then reboot. It will reinstall itself, and this might solve ur problem.

I also had problems with my Pioneer DVD-Rom drive causing wierd problems with the LG, so you might want to try Uninstalling ur CD-Rom drive and rebooting.

TOM...