1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

license protected movies, how to backup

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by wildhorse, May 4, 2004.

1. wildhorse

wildhorse Member

Firstly, if I have posted in the wrong area, I appologise.

My question is this, if anyone can help, I would greatly apreciate it.

I have just purchased a downloaded movie for personal viewing valid for 7 days only, which is in wmv format.
    I double click the movie, get a pop up window saying a license is required to play the selected content. To obtain the license, I must visit the content provider's webpage. I am given a yes or no selection. If I click on no, windows media player wont play it saying I need a license to perform the requested operation.
    So I go back to the movie, get the same pop up about visiting the providers webpage. I click on yes, get taken to a license aquistion box, enter my username & password & then click on play, & the movie plays with no problems.

What I am wanting to do is this. I would like to be able to put the movie onto cd, so I can watch it as I like, after the 7 days have expired, without having to go through all the license aquistion.
    Has anyone else come across this? & if so, does any one know how to be able to put the movie onto cd & get around the license aquisiton, which is only valid for 7 days ?

Any help or sugestions are greatly appreciated.

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

This is clearly a piracy question and therefore clearly against the rules.

3. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

First and foremost: How is this piracy? He paid for the movie and now wants to use it whenever he wants, sounds like a valid claim to me. Now to the question: You may find problems trying to copy this movie, as it will only run in windows media player, and the protection involved is actually decent (with respect to some of microsoft's products) The only way I can think of to copy this movie would be to find some program that allow's you to record whatever you're doing on your computer, you might also try recording it from a video out port, however, as this is sometimes the case with protected windows media audio, the license you have obtained my prevent wmp from unlocking your video out driver.

4. vurbal

No, he paid for a license to view the movie for 7 days.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If he's disatisfied with the 7 day limitation of his current service then perhaps he should try a service such as Netflix, which allows him to set his own limitations. to try and copy it however is piracy pure and simple.

6. andmerr

andmerr Guest

can some one a judicate please.This topic is in that so called grey area !!!!!!!!!

i for one would like an answer on who's right or wrong on this issue.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2004
  7. jaree1961

jaree1961 Member

I thought it was cut and dry - andmerr. Wildhorse has purchased a licence for 7 days only. Viewing of the movie after seven days or copying it is as we all know - pricacy.

8. andmerr

andmerr Guest

jaree1961

quote: I thought it was cut and dry - andmerr. Wildhorse has purchased a licence for 7 days only. Viewing of the movie after seven days or copying it is as we all know - pricacy.

actually jaree1961 , it isnt quite cut and dry as you put it.This is actually the first time i've seen this type of query, and even though his query borders on piracy i just thought some one could put it in a bit more perspective (you know each country has a different take on piracy ) i'm not trying to be difficult but i thought that i could get an unbiased opinion and a more thoughful answer.

9. vurbal

I guess I'd have to disagree with that. When you purchase a DVD you're buying a license to view that material (along with a single physical copy of the copyrighted material of course). In the case of DVD it lasts for the amount of time you own the physical copy. Meaning if you sell it to somebody else the license is transferred and you have to give all your backups to that person or destroy them (this example uses US law). The terms of this license are different, but no less valid. It's a license for 7 days. After that he's not licensed to play the video so it's piracy.

10. andmerr

andmerr Guest

vurbal

quote:this example uses US law

see i learnt something new, (yes you can educate the old, but i dont live in america)

thanks for the response

11. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Regardless as to whether it is or is not legal, its too boarderline (and boardering on the no-no side at that).

12. vurbal

Last edited: May 6, 2004
  13. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ praetor & vurbal :

if people dont ask questions then they dont learn.Wildhorse asked a question and then got an answer from msb5150 who may not think this is piracy.As i didnt really know myself i really only wanted to get an answer as i thought it actually was a grey area.

now that you guys have set me straight

quote:

Regardless as to whether it is or is not legal, its too boarderline (and boardering on the no-no side at that).

thank you.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I don't think that this is a grey area at all. If you went to Blockbuster and rented a DVD, it would not include the right to ownership of any part of it, which means the renter has no right to copy it because the fair use law would not apply here. Wildhorse’s 7 days license is essentially the same thing, a rental, but instead of having to return it in a day or two he has 7 days to view the movie before his license expires. When one buy’s a DVD one is buying a permanent license which has no expiry date and one assumes physical ownership of the disc that the movie is on. In each circumstance there is a legal statement or license that one has to agree to in order to utilize the service. Also remember that wildhorse would not have paid more than 2 or 3 dollars for the temporary license but if but if he was to buy the DVD then he would have paid considerably more.

15. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Sophocles: i guess with that logic it is indeed piracy

thank you as well

16. dclinton

dclinton Member

Here is something to think about:
    I purchased some pilot training materials online that also included seven one hour videos. I downloaded all seven videos. These videos have DRM installed to prevent piracy and require me to login every time I want to watch them, they do not expire. The company recently went out of business and shut down their licensing servers now I cannot login to get my license to watch the videos. Now I have seven videos that I paid for that are worthless. Anyway I can crack the DRM so I can continue to watch something I paid for? Rentals I can understand falling into the piracy law but what about this?

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

dc, if you purchased a permanent license then you have a right to do what is needed to appreciate it. I’m sorry that the company went out of business and one would think that they would have made provisions to protect those clients who’ve already paid for their service.

18. eboy123

eboy123 Member

Same thing happened to the original DIVX with my parents and their DIVX, phone-line equipped DVD player. I think it's a fair point that permanent licenses are never permanent. I have a four disc box set of Led Zep that I bought a long time ago and the discs are getting scratched. If I download the songs and burn them, that's piracy, but it shouldn't be...

Nevertheless, I don't download cause ten grand is a heckova price tag for a song...

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Get a scratch removal kit and then back them up. I own the Die hard set and disc 3 was no longer being read by any of my players, so I borrowed a copy from a friend and made a backup whihc is no different then if I'd made it from my original. If I legally own it then I believe that I have a reasonable right to protect it.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  20. wildhorse

wildhorse Member

hopefully this did not dupe itself, due to the reply not loading on afterdawn.
    appologise for the lack of response to my thread & the replies. I appreciate the effort made to reply. I have been in hospital since starting this thread, & have only got home on saturday 26 june.

I didnt realise my thread would cause such a concern. In Australia where I live, the rules regarding piracy are as follows.
    providing I own the original I have paid for, ( which I have via the license) I am allowed by law to make copies of it. As I have paid even tho it is only a license, I have the original on my hard drive. In that regards I do own the original, so there fore am allowed to use it & make copies of. Basically with the copy protect, it basically applies to the same as what a game would that is copy protected. If I own the original I am allowed to copy it, regardless of any copy protect, as the same as any movie that is copy protected, if I own the movie I may copy it. if I did not own it, & i made a copy that is where piracy comes into it. In that case I do not own it, so therefore is piracy.
    But as to the question I posted to start, the laws as they stand in Australia state that I do own the movie, there fore am allowed to copy it.

I hope that clarifies some of the problems.

Best regards
    Wildhorse.