1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life Span?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by macburner, Feb 1, 2005.

1. macburner

macburner Guest

How long do blank (no data) dvds last (I was thinking about stocking up).

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

It depends greatly on the quality of the media. Data burned on crap media, like memorex, can go bad after only a few months. This is verified by personal experience and the experience of hundreds of others.

On the other hand, quality media, like Taiyo Yuden, can last decades, with no degredation in quality.

3. J_man

J_man Regular member

Verbatim datalife plus has an archival life of 100 years. Kinda hard to prove that yet, but mine are about a year old and work great.

4. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

The current figures for DVD longevity all relate to data retention, I've not seen any covering the currency of blank media at extended time points. The current manufacturers estimates for written DVD+/-R is 30-100 years, so good quality blanks should last at least this long if stored properly. Bear in mind the above figures are estimates extrapolated from extreme testing and figures for CD lifespan.

So, if you're planning a year's worth of blanks in one buy, you have nothing to worry about, as long as you are sure that the disks you are buying are top quality.

Here's a thought, will burners for today's DVDs be available in even 10 years time? Even if you mothball a burner now, I'll bet that whatever OS your PC equivalent will be running then will not have the drivers or burning s/w to cope with those antique DVD blanks.

5. macburner

macburner Guest

Thanks I think I'll only buy 100 instead of 300. Thanks! :)