1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lighter Ritek G04 Dye or Shrink Question

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Grampaw, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

I've been using RIDATA DVD-R 4X G04 blank media for quite a while now - never had any problems.

Recently, after burning the first DVD from a new 50 pack spindle and I noticed the burned disk was lighter and more purple than any previous batch. As usual with previous G04s, the burned dye looked really good - no blotches or streaks.

This was a movie backup using Shrink (re-authored "movie only", auto compression) with the Nero burn engine. The DVD played fine on my stand-alone player until the very end, during credits, where it started to jump, freeze, pixellate, etc.

Looking again at the burned disk, there was a thin line at the edge, so it wasn't burning all the way to the edge. Anyway I went back and redid the backup using Shrink with custom compression, leaving about 150 MBs blank on the outer edge, and the new copy played fine.

Finally, my question - was this a new Ritek G04 dye problem, or a Shrink compression anomaly problem? I'm kind of gunshy now, and have been leaving some room at the edge of each disk I burn from this new batch.

Any opinions are welcome.

2. kchev

kchev Regular member

It is safe to leave a little space at the edge of the disc anyway no matter what brand of media you are using. Better to be safe than sorry.

There have been alot of posts lately about the G04 quality. I myself have tried some "branded" Ridata +R from newegg with the Ricohjpnr01 media code and they burn as good as Taiyo Yuden discs I have. Almost perfect burns.