1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lil question regarding DVD+R.

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by DFresh331, Jan 30, 2005.

1. DFresh331

DFresh331 Member

What's up everybody, i have a quick question. Just wanted to say you are all very talented in this stuff, keep up all of the great work, and thanks for all the info. Anyway, my question is i just bought Taiyo Yuden 8X dvd+R media. Will this media be able to backup my DVD's correctly? I am using an asus writer, than can do both forms of media, and the dvd decrypter. Just wondering if i should have bought 4x or 8x DVD-R media instead of the 8x dvd+R media that i bought. In any case, this media should work for my DVD backups, i hope. Thanks for all your help.

---Fresh

2. J_man

J_man Regular member

If the player you will be watching the DVD's on supports both formats then your choice is just fine.
    Taiyo Yudens are a good media choice.

P.S you are multi posting.(thats a no no)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  3. DFresh331

DFresh331 Member

how would i tell if it supports both media? If i have to test one out, then i could have just wasted a whole batch of media because i opened the package up. Hopefully someone can inform me of a way that i can check the compatibility without having to test. Thnks though for your reply.

---Fresh

4. J_man

J_man Regular member

Enter your player on this site.
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

Here is a previous posting on Media matches for Hardware.

DVD+R and DVD+RW

DVD+R and DVD+RW formats are supported by Philips, Sony, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Ricoh, Yamaha and others.
    DVD+R is a recordable DVD format similar to CD-R. A DVD+R can only record data once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc. The disc can not be recorded onto a second time.

DVD+RW is a re-recordable format similar to CD-RW. The data on a DVD+RW disc can be erased and recorded over numerous times without damaging the medium.

DVDs created by a +R/+RW device can be read by most commercial DVD-ROM players.

DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM

These formats are supported by Panasonic, Toshiba, Apple Computer, Hitachi, NEC, Pioneer, Samsung and Sharp. These formats are also supported by the DVD Forum.
    DVD-R is a recordable DVD format similar to CD-R and DVD+R. A DVD-R can only record data once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc. The disc can not be recorded onto a second time. There also are two additional standards for DVD-R disks: DVD-RG for general use, and DVD-RA for authoring, which is used for mastering DVD video or data and is not typically available to the general public.

DVD-RW is a re-recordable format similar to CD-RW or DVD+RW. The data on a DVD-RW disc can be erased and recorded over numerous times without damaging the medium.

DVDs created by a -R/-RW device can be read by most commercial DVD-ROM players.

DVD-RAM discs can be recorded and erased repeatedly but are only compatible with devices manufactured by the companies that support the DVD-RAM format. DVD-RAM discs are typically housed in cartridges

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  5. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

it depends on what formats your dvd burner is able to burn . i would check the manufactures site for your model and see what the specs are for your burner , also check for a list of compatible media for your burner . are you going to be using software like power dvd to play back your dvd's ? or are you using a stand alone player ?