1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limitation on image size in signature

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by ddlooping, Aug 16, 2004.

1. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi all. :)

Let me start by saying I have been on a broadband connection for a little while (only 256mb though), so the following does not actually bothered me much if at all.

As it is, the forums allow for members to include images in their signatures, however big the file size might be.
    It is not rare to see images > 50kb (even > 100kb).
    The biggest I have seen so far is 799x506 pixels, and 111kb!!
    For visitors/members to the forums on a slow connection, this can add a considerable amount of time to the pages download, especially if the thread they are trying to view contains several posts by different members using such images.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the AfterDawn forums were losing potential members because of it.

What do you all think about the matter? ;)

2. brian100

brian100 Guest

I totally agree. I too have just got onto broadband, luckily a 1Mb connection.

With dial up the speed, that these images took to load, were diabolical. I feel there is absolutely no need whatsoever for these distracting huge image intrusions. After a while they plain simply get on ones nerves.

It may be even worth while scrapping signature pics alltogether.

3. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

yes the connection speeds of some of the users could be an issue with loading all the pics. what i find more annoying is when you get someone that posts 20 times on a thread and you end up seeing the same huge pic over and over, and if it's animated it makes you dizzy (yes oriphus, remember that haha, i still get nightmares of 50 reapers swinging at me)

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Problem with controlling image sizes is that all of the users' sig images (and every other image on posts as well) are stored on their servers. But I'd say something like "don't show images" feature in user profile settings might make sense, it'd be just very, very annoying to code :)

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Certain firewalls will allow you to block the images.

I recently set up Agnitum Outpost and unintentionally blocked bigoranges' pic. Now I can't figure out which of the many blocked images is his so I can't see the football players anymore!!

Mozilla's FireFox browser has an extension called "AdBlock" that will allow you to right click an image and block it permanently :)

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hee hee!

7. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

MyIE2, a free browser based on IE engine, will also allow you to block all images on a page-per-page basis, or some images using its "AddHunter" feature.
    It comes with a couple of editable "blacklists" installed, one for ads, one for pop-ups. :)

8. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

big images in sig???? who in their right mind would do such a thing ;)