1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lines across screen

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by whiskey99, Apr 13, 2013.

1. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,I had a problem with horizontal lines across the screen on
    my monitor the last day they are only across the top,PC has shut off once,fan on video card runs,inside of case does not seem too hot.
    I just added a new video card and when i use OCCT to check on how system is running the temps do not seem too high,when this happens mouse will not work until system comes back up
    While typing this screen went black then came back on.
    PC is about 6yrs old,if i have to buy another PC can i use my x-ternal HDD to off load to it and then re-install all of what have on this PC to new PC and is there a tutorial on
    how to do this,thanks

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

You may be having problems with your power supply or even the new video card. Is your power supply of sufficient size to power your new video card properly? Check all out.

If you go the new build route consider cloning software such as Acronis (or others via Google) to setup the new hard drive (possibly an SSD?). When looking for cloning software you should be able to find directions; ie. on eHow or with the software itself.

I recently chose an SSD for my latest update. The cloning items were not expensive, but ended up doing a fresh install anyway. Read where that was better than cloning. Installing programs again is not a big deal really. Just BE SURE to back up your data to your external HD as a matter of routine all the time.

Consider imaging software for system backups periodically; ie. Acronis or Hirens Boot CD.

Good luck.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

lines across the screen usually indicates bad vodeocard. try another monitor to see if does same thing or not?

4. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,I have the original PSU,it is about 305watts when i check it out on OCCT it is telling me it running at 270watts so it
    probably is border line.
    I should probably go to a lager one i had read where PSU'S
    can degrade as they get older.
    Inow i can almost replace this PC for pocket change for what will take to upgrade it,but would like to do it just for the experience,thanks for the input

5. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,I was thinking is it possible to have a PSU that is under
    powered enough so that it could damage the video card by not
    having sufficient power to run it right.

6. aldan

aldan Active member

is this the same pc you were having troubles with in your other thread?

7. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,I had a problem with this PC and pulled out video card and found that one of the capacitors was crowned at the top.
    I put the new card back in left the side panel off and it has been running quite a few hours with no problems.
    It probably would help if i put a bigger PSU in this PC.
    DELL'S appear to be able to take a larger PSU.

8. aldan

aldan Active member

seems to me you were advised to put a bigger psu in.this is the problem with starting multiple threads on the same subject.what you need to do,and you have been given this advice before,is find someone who is a little more computer literate than you are (no disrespect intended)to help on your end.