1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linksys Wireless Router help!

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Jalpeonic, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Jalpeonic

Jalpeonic Member

I brought this so I could use my PSP and all the games I have that are compatible with online features so I can have access to that type of stuff. I need some REAL DETAILED help and direction in setting up this new Wireless Router, I'm beyond lost.

Linksys Wireless-N Broadband Router is the Router I have.

My cable modem is a Motorola SBV5120 SURFboard Cable Modem

My modem doesn't connect, via Ethernet cable, I use a USB cable for the connection. So this is kind of confusing me. If someone could please give me some help, I would greatly, GREATLY appreciate it. I spent $141.99, I so some sort of morale booster would be nice right about now.

2. smacyo137

smacyo137 Regular member

I 2 hav the surfboard but i have a wireless g router alsoform linksys
    i think its the same
    1st what is ur service provider eg comcast(i hav comcast)

this is what i did
    cable cord to back of surf board
    connected a ethernet cord from surfboard to end ethernet hole not the numbered 1s the one that says internet

then it wasnt workin at first so i called comcast and told the guys my info and he went into it some how and got it to work

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  3. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

It is probably because ur using USB for the router. It has been known this isnt the best way.

4. Jalpeonic

Jalpeonic Member

My ISP is Cablevision. Some have said the assembling of the Router is possible, even with a USB cable connecting it.

5. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

i never said it wasn't possible to use USB. Just that it's known to be not the best medium. Ethernet will be ur best bet.

6. Jalpeonic

Jalpeonic Member

Well I'm sorry.. That's just not at my disposal. So do you, or anyone else mind helping me trying to set this up? I paid a lot of money and I'm quite upset.

7. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

The router came with an ethernet cord. Do you not have an ethernet port on your PC?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  8. wildginge

wildginge Member

Hi,

I havent got the same quipment, but do use a linksys wireless router with a cable modem.

Router obviously sits between the Cable modem and the PC. Cable connects into back of modem as normal. Then run an ethernet cable from the modem (labelled "Ethernet"), to the router (not sure what the label would be, probably "Internet" or something).

Then you need to connect the router to your PC, and unless the router can connect via USB (you say it can, fair enough, but I havent come across this method), then you need to run an ethernet cable from port 1 of your Router, to a NETWORK CARD or ethernet port in your PC. Thats the exact setup I have. Then follow the instructions to set up the routers security stuff etc.

Network cards are dirt cheap, and as another poster says, its the best way.

Hope that helps,

Jim

9. Jalpeonic

Jalpeonic Member

Okay, I got a little bit further then previously when I started this thread. However, I'm at the process of the installation where you must set a password. However; The Router requiring that I set a password is giving me trouble. I give it one, and it scans, it asks again, then it scans, and keeps repeating itself.. I changed the password on the third attempt, and it gives me the same redundant results, even using the default password "admin".