1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux and iTunes??

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by DVDdunce9, Jul 14, 2006.

1. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

You might want to try several different distros if your going to be downloading.

Remember to get the LIVE versions as they will run without installation. That way you can "test" them to see what you like.

2. DVDdunce9

DVDdunce9 Member

hmmmm interesting.....

3. DVDdunce9

DVDdunce9 Member

now i have another question.... can i do my AIM messenger on linux???

4. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

No, but there are others that will connect with AIM and other messengers. Much like Trillian for Windows.

Can't give you any names right now as I'm on Windows and not Linux. Will get some program names and post them later on.

5. DVDdunce9

DVDdunce9 Member

thanks....another question, what would be a good windows emulator that would run my pc games

6. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

7. DVDdunce9

DVDdunce9 Member

thanks....i just got the the ubunto live cd...and i love it but then i try to install it on one of my sucky computers and it wont install. and i dont want to do it on my good pc cuz it erases the hard drive but i think you can partition it but i dont really want to get into that cuz its a small hard drive and its almost used up

8. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Ubuntu is one of the few that will not install off of the Live CD (I believe). You need the Install CD to be able to install it to a hard drive.

Are you getting any error messages? Why will it not install? I need more details in order to help.

9. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

@Dolphin2.

There is a program called GAIM....It usually comes standard in most distros.....It has a choice to log into AIM,MSN,ICQ. and Yahoo I think.Oh and Actually the Ubuntu Dapper Live CD is also an Install CD

Oh and BTW DVDdunce9....Why do you keep asking about if this or that will work on Linux......Linux is a whole different OS,It's not windows if you want all of things than stay with windows........I mean what is the point really of having linux if you are going to do the same thing as windows.......

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2006
  10. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

If you have the Ubuntu Live Dvd it will come with an installer for sure, i'm not to sure about the CD having the install as well though...
    As for windows emulators that run games, there are none.
    Some games can be run on linux, some can't.

11. DVDdunce9

DVDdunce9 Member

@ tocool4u, well im kinda tired of downloading something and it having a virus or something and i have to reformat my pc.......

yes i got the live cd and it came with an installer but it didn't work on any of my crappy computers

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  12. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

@DVDdunce9
    Please give me a little more information about the Installation problem.

13. DVDdunce9

DVDdunce9 Member

well it may be the computers fault....the one is an old '98 and the other is a celeron ME but i would get the install box and it would start installing and it would say installation canceled or crashed or installation error

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  14. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

@tocool4u
    I stand corrected. The newer version (6.06) of Ubuntu Live does come with an installer. The previous versions didn't.

I am aware of GAIM. I was just pointing out other options for him.

@The_Fiend
    Check out this web site for games that work fine with Wine.
    http://appdb.winehq.org/

@DVDdunce9
    It should install fine on both of those systems. I know people running it on old 486 systems (before the Pentium). What partitioning format have you tried? Exactly how far into the installation does it get? If you don't give me more details, I'm not going to be able to help very much.

15. DVDdunce9

DVDdunce9 Member

well i got it installed on the '98 but then i boot it again and it says no operating system installed....cuz we reformatted it before and never installed windows again

16. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Dolphin, let me quote Wine's name spelled out : "WINE Is Not an Emulator".

Point taken? :)

17. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Technically, you're right. It doesn't have the memory loss an emulator would. However it does allow Windows programs, using native dll's, to run within the UNIX/Linux framework. Very much in the same way an emulator would.

What would call it?

18. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I honestly wouldn't know..

19. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

@DVDdunce9
    If I understand you correctly, when you boot up, you get a black screen that says there is no operating system?

When you installed it, did you partition and format the hard drive? What extension did you use?

When it asked if you wanted/needed a dual boot what did you respond?

If your only going to run Linux on this system, you don't need Windows installed or a dual boot.

EDIT: Found this video of an Ubuntu installation. Check it out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCtxGA4yZLI

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2006
  20. DVDdunce9

DVDdunce9 Member

yes but i told it to erase the whole hard drive...and it didn't ask for a dual boot but i dont have windows on it