1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Desktops (linux/unix only please) with system specs.

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by varnull, Mar 9, 2008.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Latest added into my small fleet ~

Have installed moonOS 3 (which is based on Ubuntu) as a dual boot to TinyMe on my old Dell GX-150 that i've brought back into use (P3 1GHz, 384MB RAM). It was an excuse to use Enlightenment again but it works very well, the P3 is a tad sluggish but not too bad. Had installed moonOS on a spare P3 600MHz laptop but the PCMCIA wifi isn't working properly hence using a desktop machine now ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. creaky

Re my previous post - have now replaced moonOS with Puppy again on that machine, but may still replace Puppy with PCLinuxOS 2009.1 as i rediscovered that again the other day (and i have a few other Puppy machines now anyway).

Anyways, here's Solaris 9 on my ancient Celeron 500MHz laptop, accessed thru Xming. Hadn't used Xming before (would normally use Hummingbird Exceed), Xming seems to work a treat, am well chuffed ~

[​IMG]

(the laptop is docked, it lives under a proper Dell stand which is tucked away under one of the desks, nice because it saves space - it allows an old xbox and an xbox 360 to sit ontop, and running via the dock allows 1024x768 to a spare monitor whereas the laptop can only muster 800x600 when used as a laptop)

Am going to start a refresher on my bash scripting, poor old brain isn't learning enough in this economy :(

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  3. creaky

Firefox 2.0.0.20 in Solaris 9 (x86), system specs in previous post. Not fussed with Flash, this machine is just for checking emails and scripting ~

[​IMG]

4. scum101

scum101 Guest

some tasty stuff there.. I like the look of your sol9 .. might have to dig out grace and experiment with it.. how much ram on that system? 512 on a p2 400 is a bit sad... once I get through swearing at Arch that is.., which is being a 100% pig... Guess what.. Once I get it set up and working it's removed.. because anything which is such a total gentoo style mess to set up and configure has 100% no place in my life. Solaris with unsupported hardware was less hard work.. honest.

I like the looks of Moon.. shame it's a n00buntu derived thang tho. I'm getting fed up of the debian stupidity and the n00b broken dependencies for the simplest things.. If it carries on like this I'm going to go back to FreeBSD and be damned.. hehehehehe

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2009
  5. creaky

I replaced moonOS with Puppy again, no reason really, that PC isn't used much so i chop and change it now and then. Would you believe i've only discovered podcasts today (how behind the times am i eh), just experimenting with scheduling downloads of the Alex Jones and Chris Moyles shows using Juice. Fantastic little program, it can live on my little netbook downloading each show unattended, like Wall-E :p

edit- i don't mean downloading Wall-E, i mean Juice is like Wall-E :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  6. scum101

scum101 Guest

Try out streamtuner then as well for your background tunes.. I listen to trondheim underground .. it's great.

7. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

[​IMG]

My granddaughter would like to contribute some of her games on Aslan, her GNU/Linux laptop. Note that Backgammon fills the screen; but it is awarded only a small image here, because it appears to cheat when in trouble.

Specs: Debian GNU/Linux 2.6.18-6-686 (Slinky) on a Compaq Armada E500 Laptop, with an Intel Pentium III 6.8.3 (Coppermine) 497 MHz CPU, ATI 3D Rage AGP 2x GPU, 256 MB RAM, 6 whole GiB IBM Travelstar ATA/ATAPI-4 (5.7 GiB, 0.3 GiB Swap) hard drive, and CD-224E optical drive. Aslan's GNOME desktop shows the AI games Go, Backgammon, & Mah Jongg solitaire (and a calendar applet). She chose, as system defaults, the Bitstream Vera family of typefaces.

8. creaky

Have been tinkering with said PC again, it's a triple boot again, now it's Win7/Puppy 4.20 SMP/Macpup Foxy 3.0 (macpup is based on Puppy 4.3.1 with kernel 2.6.30.5) as i came across Macpup on distrowatch.com a couple of days ago. Puppy linux with the Enlightenment e17 window manager (version .062) already built-in was far too tempting to resist. I have 6 workspaces (each has it's own wallpaper, not that i see them often) which is obviously like having 6 monitors. All programs have been added to the taskbar otherwise known as the 'shelf'. I used to use Enlightenment on one of my work machines, mainly as it was the most intuitive way to have obscene amounts of command line sessions running for months on end, work and scripting was a breeze this way.
    This runs so well that i will end up ditching the Puppy 4.20 partition at some point, not sure what to replace it with though as i have no need to use anything else now..

[​IMG]

edit- Got my Freeview DVB-T USB stick working, am watching Michael Caine in The Black Windmill on ITV1 ~

[​IMG]

edit- New background for one of my 6 workspaces on this machine ~

[​IMG]

Got the piccy from here ~ An amateur stargazer has stunned astronomers around the world with his photographs of the universe – taken from his garden shed.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  9. creaky

Updated the previous post the other day.

Main linux box has been up 5 days now, crunching thru Seti workunits (there's enough people out there doing Folding@home or whatever, i prefer to find Aliens, but to be serious i've been using Seti for 10 years now so that's what i stick to), Firefox 3.6 and Google Chrome, VLC player, 2 different remote desktop programs, i can effortlessly mount any local hard drive partitions, network shares are just as easy, Amsn and Pidgin for instant messaging, Enlightenment window manager, 6 workspaces etc etc etc, i just love Puppy. Does it show ? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. scum101

scum101 Guest

full debian 64 .. with java working properly eventually.. but still not running the retarded new applet photobucket decided to use..

[​IMG]