1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

linux on dell

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by DOUGHBOY6, Jul 25, 2006.

1. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

ok this is da problem, i got a Dell dimension desktop 4400 from my friend (it windows has viruses up da @$$), so i wanna get linux on it, the problem is when i pop in a linux live cd it just goes to thte menue wich it askes choose os, the choices windows xp home edition, and windows ex home edition, i go to one it says its messed up and i go the the other and and it boots, it has a worm i think files keep dissapearing, i poped in anti virus and it doses't ditect the disc...it ditects da drive, when i put a audio cd it shows the music thing on the drive but won't play it... i'm gettin off track so idk what to do...i changed the cd-drive but the same thing happed

2. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

What distribution of Linux are you using?

Did you boot from the CD into Linux and then try to install it?

3. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

well i tried diffent live cd's, then i pop in the suse linux 10.0 (free version) and it just goes the black screen with white text saying choose operating system,just like there isn't a cd in it at all, and there both windows, the options. so it dosen't boot the disc at all, i checked out the bios and that didn't help at all. so i'm already thinking about just dump the dell and build a brand new computer.

4. lauritx

lauritx Regular member

In dell`s bios (at least my mothers machine) you have to check out hard disk and floppy and leave only cd for boot. I just installed Suse on it. Works fine.

5. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

hey yeah ur right it did boot, but the problem is that i think the pc dosen't match da system requirements for suse. it has 128 mb of RAM and has a 1.0 ghz intel pentuim 4 proceccor (not hyper threatneing) and to also throw in how old it has windows xp sp1 no service pack 2 but i still apertiat da help...when i poped in the first disc of suse 10.0 it had the welcome thing then it asked...boot forom hard disc, install, install asp (idk), install safe, memory test and, rocovery. i did memory test but that took like 10 minuts so i just said f*** it, and whent to install, then after that the screen whent black and the comupter just cept running but the screen whent to standbuy :( so i'm guessing i need more RAM or a better CPU, most likely da RAM

6. lauritx

lauritx Regular member

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  7. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

Yeah thx man, i'm gonna think about it suse wich its gonna cost me like $50 for a 512mb, or just go with vector.

8. lauritx

lauritx Regular member

Vector works, but if you get more ram go to Suse. It`s greate really!!!

9. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

k i'm gonna buy some more ram...then i'm probably gonna buy suse with firewall and other stuff so that'll probably take me a few weeks to get $100 for RAM and SUSE. will it be worth paying for?...suse i mean.

10. lauritx

lauritx Regular member

11. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

IMHO, no. There are many other distrubutions of Linux that are the same or better than SUSE without having to pay for them.

Why are you set on SUSE?

12. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

idk, i guess i just trust it, my school uses the novell windows client for thier login and LAN system it's pretty stable...most of the time. and i'm intersted of makeing my own file network for home and see if i can a WAN...i'm into it b/c of the networking. pluse that was the first linux i've tried, i tried fedora...i didn't really like it, the feel of it. btw when i tried suse it was only for a couple of weeks then i got rid if b/c it took half of my pc and didn't like the dual boot so i'm useing it on this old dell.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2006
  13. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

14. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

already took it like a couple months b4 i've even got da dell...suse man that's what came up

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2006
  15. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

Ok, i got my 512 MB ram today and i plugged it in and i popped in suse but it just did the same thing :(. so I'm gonna try another distribution now, probably ubuntu.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2006
  16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

17. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

cool thanks,

...no problem, cut the text chat

18. creaky

thanks..

@dolphin2 - i just tried that test (good test, am going to have to remember that one), and... it recommended i use Mandriva. Gave me a chuckle as that's been my fave distro for quite a few years :)

19. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

@DOUGHBOY6
    Is it possible you have a bad disc? Did you download and burn it yourself? I usually burn my ISO's at 24X any faster could lead to errors. What speed did you burn at?

@creaky
    Yes, it's short, sweet and simple. Plus, it gives good results.

I was going to try Mandriva but I don't like the idea of having to pay for the "club".

20. creaky

you don't need to join the club; i've been using it since 8.1, so been using/messing with Mandrake/Mandriva since something like 2001.

you really should try it out, i've even revived an old Celeron PC for my Ma which we have in the kitchen, i put Mandriva 2006 on there with a Linksys wireless PCI card, it's awesome. just looking on eBay now for some P3 pc's to get for a couple more distros, like Ubuntu and DSL (Damn Small Linux) (or Arch Linux instead of DSL Linux)