1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

linux on dell

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by DOUGHBOY6, Jul 25, 2006.

1. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

I thought if you didn't join the club you didn't get all the updates as they are released. Also, you don't get the latest software versions (without downloading them yourself).

I'm currently testing PCLinuxOS. It's in Beta but very stable.
    http://www.pclinuxos.com/news.php

I'm also keeping a close eye on VideoLinux (it's in Alpha stage. Going to be a good system for movies!)
    http://videolinux.net/news.php

Ever heard of them?

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I've got an old PCLinuxOS cd somewhere, didn't think much of it if i remember, but as i say it was ages ago so probably a real early version. haven't come across videolinux. just looking thru www.distrowatch.com gives me a headache as there's about 6 million distro's out there.

edit- shows how long since i tried PCLinuxOS, forgot it was based on Mandrake.

as to Mandriva, not being in the club simply means you can't download the latest and greatest version when it comes out - it's just a way for club members to feel priviliged, us meer mortals just wait 'til it's made available for download, then burn our own ISO's :)
    i did buy one version once, 8.1 back in 2001 or whenever, and if i recall correctly than entitled us to 90 days support. Never needed it and since then have always fixed stuff myself and downloaded most different versions as they come out. I say most as some versions were awful (and i don't use the 'community' versions either, i wait for 'official' versions).
    As to updates, you can just chop and change your update sources via something like this - http://easyurpmi.zarb.org. I look for updates every day, there's updates most days.

We used Mandriva 8.1 in our Production environment at work, it ran an Oracle database and had an uptime of just over a year before we decommisioned it. 8.1 was great, as was 9.1 (9.0 wasn't), 10.0 was ok i think, 10.1 was great, then i skipped 2005.0 and went straight to 2006.0. Not that i love Mandriva or anything :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  3. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

@ dolphin, no it can't be a bad burn, they are the same disc i used to install to my gateway (i don't like this comp, and don't recomend this brand) and it worked perfectly fine, on the dell i don't know what's wrong.

4. creaky

you just need to go into the BIOS and enable booting from cd

5. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

6. Coxy_69

Coxy_69 Member

hiya, Well i have not much had joy with Videolinux(its probably very capable and i am just being a thicky). But on the lighter side of life Linux XP was good but lacked the terminal and you have to log in as root every time(not sure on this but Linspire does the same)
    So after reading your guys comments on SUSE i am currently downloading 10.1 . If it runs on my old laptop then sweet, if not i will go with Mandrake like the test told me to. So will inform of any results.
    The system its going on is :-
    P3 1GHz 256RAM 20GB Harddrive SIS onboard GFX Card (its a laptop)

7. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

ok on the DELL i trashed the idea of suse and now i'm running ubuntu (and i'm on it as i type this), the only problem i'm haveing is to get it to run on my router, my router blocks its ports from ubuntu for some reason, and i have to connect directly to my modem.

At first i was wondering were are all the applications but i realized i had to download them, wow what a wide selection of apps, i'm impressed with ubuntu, adn installing it was pretty cool, i was able to surf the internet wile it installed and it got rid of windows for me partitioning my hd did'nt even come to mind for the dell. :D

oh to install java...is a .bin is another type of image file?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2006
  8. creaky

for java install via .bin, just (from a terminal session) make the .bin executable via chmod +x j*bin and then run it

9. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

huh??? i don't know how to do that, after all my linux experience is vary low. i just came from windows. i'm probably gonnna buy linux for dummies (literly).

i type in the the su command in the command text box (alt F2) then i check terminal, then it asks for my password i put that in and and the terminal just dissapears (gone).

then i tryed to just go to the konsole and type in su, ask for my pass, i type it in, then i get "su authention failed". there's my screen shot

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2006
  10. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

That is because Ubuntu doesn't use "su"....It doesn't have a root user.

You have to type sudo to become "superuser"

11. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

ohh ok...now i'm lost

12. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

I'm jumping in a little late in the game on this particular issue but I just wanted to say it sounds like you have two comps.. and you said windows was ate up with virus's on the dell. What I would have done in this situation is take out the hard drive on the dell and slave it onto the working comp and formatted the whole drive. That way when you take it back out and put it back in the dell you have a blank hard drive w/o all the virus's and then install whatever OS you so desire.. onto the now non-corrupt hard drive.. but thats just me..

13. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

yeah that is a good idea but the thing is my primary computer is a S ATA hard drive, and the dell is master/slave connectors but that's a good idea.

14. janrocks

janrocks Guest

@ doughboy.. Broke my rule because I saw you struggling..

On ubuntu the root user password is the same as the install user. The same password you put in when you installed.

command = sudo <password from install>
    Check the ubuntu forums for vital security information or as root run the pssword (or is it passwd) command and change both your user and root passwords as soon as practical. There is a huge security hole otherwise.

ps..last post..just clearing out the last subscribed thread links.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2006
  15. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

i got like so many questions and I'm just gonna go to barns and noble and buy ubuntu for beginners.

Hey hows slack ware... is that good, arn't they like one of the first ones in the GNU project.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2006
  16. DMW

DMW Regular member

Hey Doughboy6,

If your still using Ubuntu, try installing Automatix, it installs a lot of usefull stuff and saves you having to get them all manually (including Java). Heres the link and a list of programs it installs.

I found it very usefull.
    http://getautomatix.com/wiki/index....mid=38#Installing_on_Ubuntu_6.06_Dapper_Drake

1. Acrobat Reader (Adobe Acrobat Reader and plugin for Firefox 1.5)
    2. AMSN 0.95 (MSN client with webcam support)
    3. Amule (Latest version of a P2P file sharing client)
    4. Archiving Tools (Additional archiving tools (rar, unrar, ace, and 7zip))
    5. AUD-DVD codecs (NON-FREE Audio and DVD codecs) (Installation of this option is illegal in the United States of America)
    6. Avidemux (Video Editing Tool)
    7. Azureus (Installs Azureus bittorrent client)
    8. Backup and Restore (A graphical backup and restore solution for Ubuntu (GNOME))
    9. Beagle (A Mono-based search program)
    10. Bittornado (Bittorent Client)
    11. Boot-up Manager (Easy configuration of startup and shutdown scripts and services)
    12. Checkgmail (A nifty gmail checker)
    13. Ctrl-Alt-Del (This configures Ctrl-Alt-Del to Open Gnome System Monitor (GNOME ONLY))
    14. DCPP (Linux DC++ client)
    15. Debian Menu (Shows all installed applications on your system)
    16. DVD Ripper (DVD ripper)
    17. Extra Fonts (Additional fonts and msttcorefonts)
    18. Flashplayer (Adobe Flash Player for FF)
    19. Frostwire (P2P file sharing client (GPL clone of Limewire))
    20. Gdesklets (eyecandy for Gnome)
    21. Gaim 2.0 beta3 (The latest version of a popular IM client compatible with YIM/MSN/AIM/Jabber etc)
    22. GFTP (FTP client for GNOME with ssh capability)
    23. Gnomebaker (The best GTK2 CD/DVD burning software)
    24. GnomePPP (Graphical dialup connection tool (GNOME ONLY))
    25. GnuCash (Money management software for GNOME)
    26. Google Earth (Satellite Earth imagery application from Google)
    27. Google Picasa (Photo editing application from Google)
    28. iLinux (iLife Alternative (Banshee, F-Spot, Kino))
    29. Liferea (A RSS reader for GNOME)
    30. Listen Media Manager (Latest version of a new media manager and player for GNOME)
    31. Media Players (Totem-xine, VLC and Beep Media Player (with docklet))
    32. MPlayer & FF plugin (MPlayer and Firefox 1.5 plugin)
    33. Multimedia Codecs (Commonly needed audio and video codecs)
    34. Multimedia Editing (Audio (Audacity) Video (Kino) and ID3 Tag (Easytag) editors)
    35. Nautilus Scripts (Open Nautilus, and any file with gedit with a right click, as root (GNOME ONLY))
    36. NDISWrapper (A driver wrapper that allows you to use Windows driver for network cards)
    37. Network Manager (A program and menu applet that allows you to easily change networks)
    38. NVIDIA Driver (Installs NVIDIA drivers on select NVIDIA cards)
    39. Opera Browser (Opera Web Browser)
    40. OpenOffice Clipart (clipart in OpenOffice)
    41. Programming Tools (Anjuta (C/C++ IDE), Bluefish (HTML editor), Screem (web development), NVU (HTML editor)
    42. RealPlayer (RealPlayer)
    43. Rhythmbox (Latest version of Rhythmbox)
    44. Ripper and Tuner (Streamripper (rips Internet radio streams) and Streamtuner (Internet radio client))
    45. Security Suite (ClamAV AntiVirus and Firestarter Firewall)
    46. Skype (A free (as in free beer) Voice Over IP software)
    47. Slab (Novell's "Slab" menu used in SLED 10)
    48. SUN JAVA 1.5 JRE (Sun's version 1.5 JRE & The Firefox plugin)
    49. SUN JAVA 1.5 JDK (Sun's version 1.5 JDK (Most users DONT need this))
    50. Swiftfox Browser (optimized Firefox browser for your specific CPU)
    51. Swiftfox Plugins (Java, Flash, Acrobat, Mplayer, MS fonts)
    52. Thunderbird 1.5 (Email client)
    53. Wine (Installs Wine)
    54. XChat (a popular IRC client)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  17. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

oh! that nice thanks man I'll do that. your my god now :D

18. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

thx dmw that really helped alot u saved me a whole lot of time.

19. DMW

DMW Regular member

No problem mate, Linux can be a tricky world to get into wihtout the right helping hand. I found Automatix to be the right nudge to get me going and so far I've not looked back.

Have fun with Linux.

20. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

oh yeah i will, finally i'm free from the Microsoft cuse lol.