1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux on PS2 or other OS??

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Stinky_1, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I was looking around and noticed there are versions of linux out there that are made to run on the PS2. The problem is most the sites I looked at were shut down, or didnt have the program anywhere. I wanted to find some version that could be downloaded and installed on the HDD. I dont care what the actual program is I just want to be able to run email and internet on my TV. If anybody can help me out or send me in the right direction please post some info.

2. IguanaC64

IguanaC64 Member

3. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

thanks for the link. I will work on this during this week and see if I can get something going.

4. IguanaC64

IguanaC64 Member

Let us know how it works out...I've definately been thinking of doing this =).

Sony is sold out of the US version of the Linux kit. I saw this on Ebay for $250. With a modchip, you might be able to buy one from another region, but I don't know what kind of issues might come up. I looked around for alternatives to the original Sony Linux kit. The official kit comes with:

Hard Drive
    VGA video cable
    USB keyboard
    USB mouse
    Network Adapter

All this is pretty easy to get except for that VGA cable...the closest thing I could find to it was at:

http://www.ps2modchip.com/search.php?page=dvdx

This doesn't seem to be some sort of cheap TV->VGA adapter like most of these things. If it truly does what it says (that it unlocks the modes that the PS2 can display in...rather than some crappy conversion of a RF signal) then it should be an acceptable replacement for the Linux kit VGA cable.

5. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I have everything else that the kit comes with except for the vga cable as well. I think at first I will try and get it running on my TV. I read the instructions on that rhino site and it soiunds complicated, so it may take some fiddling around to get it right.

Ill let you all know how it worked and if I needed to do anything special.

I am totally new to linux in the first place, so I think that may take some of my learning time as well.

6. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

ok, I am having some real problems here. Is there anyone on this forum that has this or a different version of linux running on their PS2? I would love to hear a step by step for the install for people who have NO IDEA what they are doing. So far I have only this to read

http://blackrhino.xrhino.com/main.php?page=howto

Unfortunatly I cant get past the first sentence on the install without being totally lost.

I figured there should be some way to burn the program onto a cd and have it run off that. And if that worked out then I was going to assume that I could then just put the contents if that cd onto my HD with HDloader the same as a game would go on. I have no clue how I would actually install this program to the hard drive though.

Maybe I just dont know what I am doing, and need a push in the right direction. Usually I am not so stupid with computers, but I sure feel dumb now.

7. IguanaC64

IguanaC64 Member

What a god-awful install page...they assume we would know how to make the PS2 even get to a prompt to run linux without a bootable Linux ISO. I think Linux is made by people who get their jollies making people feel dumb. =)

Typically, I would say go to http://www.playstation2-linux.com/ ...but it appears to be down right now. I'll see what else I can dig up when I get some time. Gotta get back to work atm! =)

8. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I guess the idea is that if you are smart enough to get it onto your system, then you should have no problem getting it working right.

I thought I knew a bit about computers and stuff, but really. How do you get a prompt onto the PS2? Especially after you have HD loader on there with a bunch of games? The last thing I want to do is lose them all. It takes so long to get them there in the first place.

9. IguanaC64

IguanaC64 Member

Well...on a typical Linux install ISO, you just pop the disk in...it boots. Then you get prompted for any extra commands you want to do on the install. Then a disk partition manager comes up and you just tell it to do it's thing.

My best guess is to take that downloaded file and make a CD with those files and see if they set it up to auto-boot...at least to a linux prompt.

If I understand what the DMS HD Format tool says, each ISO for a PS2 disk is it's own partition...so you should be able to just make a new partition without it screwing your other stuff up.

10. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I tried burning it to a disk and throwing it in to see what happened. And well, nothing happened. I am going to work on a second disc and see if I can do something different.

Is there really no body here that has actually put the system on their PS2?

Cmon somebody has to know what exactly to do.

11. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I just got a version of the official Linux for PS2 and am in the middle of installing that. So far the only problem I had was it wanted to write over all my HD loader programs. Since I own all the games I put on there I figured I would just let linux do its thing, then put the hd loader back on after. Only I fgure I will do it with winhiip this time as it should be much faster.

Right now I need to run to the store and get a memory card for linux to use. It wipes out everything on it.

Once i get this working I will let you all know how well it did. Also there is a way to play it on your PAL, NTSC, or monitor. So I am just doing it on my TV without using the V synce cable thingy.

It also comes with full instructions that walk you through the whole process. Its MUCH esier to do than that rhino version. I suspect you need this version of linux to run on there to make that version work anyway as this version comes with Fdisk and a dos type command prompt built in. Its as easy as putting the dvd in and following the instructions.

If anyone is interested in the program email me and I will let you know where to "find" it.

12. Schempe

Schempe Member

I looked at the Rino page you need the orginal ps2 linux installed first, then upgrade to rhino. The ps2 linux coummunity site is back up, link in post above.

I am really interested in how it turns out. I have duel bott linux on my computer. Don't use it much. It can be hard to find solutions when you come across a problem. They assume you know everything. Sounds like it would be cool for running several different emulators and PS2 game developement. Let us know how it turns out.

13. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

a couple of problems are came across.

1) It doesnt seem like their is an easy way to have Linux and HD loader co-exist on the same hdd. HD loader writes to the first 2 table of the hard drive, and linux installs into the first 2. So every time you load hd loader it wants to format, and if you let it then you loose your linux install. I am thinking in the setup you may be able to tell it to install to block 3 and 4, or even 20 and 21 for that matter.

2) I got linux up and running but it wont let me run the windows emulator. I think I am just not smart when it comes to linux (having never used it before). But I run the sdr command to open a window that allows me to select the program I want to run, then press "Q" to back out. It then asks me to save it, so I say "Y" then when I press the startx command to run the selected program it wont recognize the command.

I am about 1 hour away from giving up on this project. I thought it would be neat to have linux on here, but the more I think about it, the less I really need it. I just wanted to brag about one more thing my ps2 can do that the xbox cant.

Running Snes and other emulators is one big thing. Now that I have the media player on here it is even better.

"Can YOUR Xbox play DIVX movies???!!!!"

14. IguanaC64

IguanaC64 Member

So you *WERE* able to install Linux to the PS2 without the original Linux (I don't see any real reason why you should be forced to, but sometimes people make weird design decisions)?

The thing with the partition tables is crappy =/. I'm surprised the Linux install routines don't give you any leeway here since Linux is made to install on multiple partition systems. HDD Explorer I can understand because they are working in a sort of closed bubble where they are only thinking of their development and possibly only other big developments like HDLoader/Advance.

It's especially puzzling since when you FTP to the hard drive it essentially LOOKS like a stripped down Linux file system and you mount different drives to it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  15. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I guess I need to make my other posts a little more clear. I downloaded the rhino version of whatever it was. I played with it a bit and never even got my PS2 to recognize it as a playstation format disc. Hence it NEVER was able to be installed.

I used a torrent search page and managed to find the official playstation Linux dev kit 2 dvd set. I downloaded it and ran that. Installtation was very simple as it came with instructions in plain english that explained the whole process.

The problem I had, and still have, is that linux MUST instal to the first 2 boot sectors of the HD. AND coincidentally enough HDloader and HDadvance BOTH look at the first 2 boot sectors to decide if the hdd is formated for their use yet.

I think I managed to get linux to install to the 3rd and 4 th boot sectors, but when I put HD advance back in, it wants to format again. It seems I am not smart enough to have them both coexist on the same HD.

Not only that, With my 4th install of linux I still am not able to get anything other than the command prompt. It seems that linux does not like to run StartX as a command even AFTER I select the windowmaker settings it needs to start that program.

So until I get smarter LINUX is officially wiped OFF my to do list, and putting my 20 games back ONTO my HDD is my next project of choice. That should take me the next couple hours.

As a side note, it seems that the PAL version of linux dev kit for PS2 does in fact work on a NTSC TV. When you see the "PLAYSTATION 2" screen on your TV just hold down "Select + R1" for NTSC or "Select + R2" for PAL or hold down nothing and it will go into green synce mode for monitors.

So if somebody else wanted a legit version of this one would think that ordering it from out of the US or Canada would be an option.

If you have a mod chip, and its not sold in our country anyway I dont see why it would be illegal to run it here. Maybe it is though ??

16. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

As a side note I really find it hard to beleive that NOBODY else here has installed Linux on their playstation under any conditions. Or are they just not checking this thread?................................ Rotten leachers!

17. IguanaC64

IguanaC64 Member

US Linux kit is no longer mfg'd or sold =/ I saw one on ebay for $250.

18. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

thats what I mean. SInce the US linux kit is no longer sold here, does that mean that its illegal to download a copy of it? and use it?

But also the PAL linux kit is really the US linux kit as well. You just need to press the right button at startup to use it on your NTSC tv, thats all. So those people who wanted to stay legal could buy it from out of your country and still use it.

The thing is that you can get your own HDD, mouse and keyboard for less than that kit. PLus download it for free, and then if you dont have a mod chip to play the burnt version go get that and still come in under the $250 they want on ebay for the same kit. Not to mention that you would most likely have a 120 gig hdd, and not the 80 that comes with the kit.

Oh, forgot the network adapter as well.

19. batfastad

batfastad Member

The Linux kit in North America is sold out - it's been available for 3 years now.

Yes it is very much illegal to download it.
    The RTE loader, provided by Sony in order to make your PS2 actually recognise linux and load it - that's what you're paying for.

When I bought the Linux kit a year or so ago, I had it installed and working with KDE in about 45 mins. No problems. Just followed the installation guide as I was a complete Linux newbie.

Now I've got my PS2 as a full on media centre, file server, web server with PHP, FTP server and all sorts, all remote-controlled through VNC.

The problem with the PS2 Linux is that the PS2 is not based on an x86 core, it's a MIPS machine!
    Therefore binaries and RPMs you download that are already compiled do not work!

You have to download source and recompile.
    And because PS2 Linux is based on Red Hat 6.0 generally getting newer software to compile is a long task.

In my experience there are few modern apps I've managed to compile and get working myself.

Also, the PS2 hardware is pants.
    Don't expect it to be able to use Firefox, Mozilla, OpenOffice or anything.
    Just to point out how slow the machine is, even just running KDE is slow. It's a gaming console. Not a media centre.

Good luck getting it to work. Just remember not much software actually runs on it.

For some pre-compiled stuff take a look at some of the projects at www.playstation2-linux.com

Though I do not condone downloading the PS2 Linux distribution - why do you think it is that Sony have decided it's no longer financially viable to produce the kit? People downloading the disc images for free is one reason.

In the UK it cost me £100 ($200) to buy the kit - a bargain for some nice looking sony hardware and official discs.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  20. pawz

pawz Member

While I applaud Sony for even releasing the linux kit in a region like Australia which regularly gets left out of such releases, the cost of the kit is prohibitively expensive.

I already have a network adapter and a hard drive installed in my machine. (I tried hdloader, but found it unsatisfactory, so my hdd is really doing nothing right now) My machine is chipped solely to allow me to play import games not available in my region. Despite my best efforts to patch my NTSC games, this is a hit and miss affair as well.
    At least the chip allows me to boot non-sony stamped discs (backup imports), but can it allow me to boot a Rhino Linux cd ?

I would love to install a base linux system from a boot cd and then build a system from there if there was a way to do it without the official sony kit. The most promising project would be a Gentoo ps2 port, on which there is already some progress. This would give the widest range of applications, as gentoo compiles everything from source, with developer supplied patchsets. A person like yourself batfastad, could easy commit your necessary changes to get a program to compile back to a central repository where we could all store our ebuilds.

I haven't burnt a Rhino cd yet, so I don't know if this will work.. but I sorely suspect it won't. Does the Linux kit have to be produced by a registered sony developer to get more than just that copy protection check ?

The only reason I want Linux on it is because I have no other real use for a HDD/network adapter. I don't play online, and I own all my games, bar imports.

Incidentally, I look forward to modding my GC for the sole reason of being able to run a working Linux distro on there. It's awesome to have a powerful G3 cpu in such a tiny box, and as an Apple user already, it provides, I am told, binary compatibility with apps compiled using gcc on OS X. Yay for PowerPC architecture ! Boo for mips :"P~

(incidentally, I always wanted to own a Sony Mips machine. It's one of the few *nix architectures I have not been able to pick up so far !)