1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Ubuntu Help plz!

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by Richtig12, May 26, 2007.

1. Richtig12

Richtig12 Member

I currently have Windows Vista Home Premium as my OS. Is there anyway i could use Ubuntu as an OS also on this computer? Like could i switch back and forth between the 2 OS? Would i need a external hard drive? any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

it is very simple. just boot your ubuntu live cd. then click on install and just follow instructions up to the partition part. select manual. first you need to resize your vista partition. you will want free up 20gigs from your vista partition. then create a new ext3 partition that uses 19.5 gigs of the 20. then with the leftover space create a linux swap partition. then click apply. next you have mount points. select the ext3 partition as "/" and select the swap partition as "swap" and if you want you can mount your vista partitionas vista. in the box type "/Vista" then click next and finish the install. then reboot your computer and grub will appear. you can now choose between ubuntu and vista

3. Richtig12

Richtig12 Member

I don't have a Ubuntu cd...i was just going to download it.

4. Richtig12

Richtig12 Member

could i take ubuntu off after its installed?? and go back to just vista or no.

5. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
    download from there and burn the cd(that is the ubuntu cd i was talking about). then restart computer and press f12 of whatever button you need to to get to the boot options. then select boot from cd rom device and load up the cd and install. if you choose you dont like it you can just reformat those two partitions then merge it with the vista partition and it will e back to normal.

6. Richtig12

Richtig12 Member

I have no idea what you meann by merging and what are vista partions?

7. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

merging is if you decide to take ubuntu off you can reformat and then combine the partition with the partition that windows is on. and vista partition just means the part of the hard drive that windows vista is installed on

8. Richtig12

Richtig12 Member

I did as you said and I was uploading the Cd and it was all working but then it said something about a graphical error and it stopped?

9. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

did you get this error while booting from the cd? i would try to boot from it once more to see if it works.

10. Richtig12

Richtig12 Member

i did it still didnt work it said something about teh x server cannot load.

11. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

ok then try to burn a new cd or try a different distribution. you said something about linux mint in another thread. give that a try

12. Richtig12

Richtig12 Member

I tried mint also, it says the X server cannot be run...somthing like that and that it may be a graphical error or something.

13. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

then it is probably a problem in your computer.try booting one of those cds on a different computer. if they boot then there is a problem with your computer. i am not sure how to fix the x server problem but maby someone at linux forums can help with that
    http://linuxforums.org/

14. tron4200

tron4200 Member

i to am having trouble. i have a second drive and kubuntu isnt seeing it. sorry i may have a few more questions.i am new to linux.(stupid noob .....lol) thanx

15. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

ok tron, you should start a new thread with all you linux questions and i will help you with them.

16. britz660

britz660 Member

you can also use the ubuntu cd as a live cd, you can run the operating system just to get yourself acquainted with it then proceed with a dual configuration later if u feel more comfortable

17. vbJoe

vbJoe Member

hey Richtig12,

do a google for Wubi, its a util you run and install in windows, it does everything for you and gives you another boot option..

I used it on my desktop and laptop, runs perfectly. best part is if you dont want it anymore you just boot windows goto add/remove and uninstall wubi, takes the lot off for you :)

18. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

Windows Vista and Linux do not get along well!

Do a search at the Ubuntu Forums.