1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LINUX XP ?

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by bomb12guy, Feb 27, 2007.

1. bomb12guy

bomb12guy Member

i was on the internet and i came accross this website http://www.linux-xp.com/
    i was wondring if it is worth buying or if it will just mess your pc up

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I wouldn't touch that thing with a ten foot pole.

3. bomb12guy

bomb12guy Member

what do u think about it ?

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I just told you...

5. bomb12guy

bomb12guy Member

no im asking why for what reason ?

6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Well, if i want windows, i'll buy xp, if i want linux, i'll get it free.
    I WILL NOT shelve out money for something built from free software, just because it LOOKS like windows.

7. bomb12guy

bomb12guy Member

can u tell wher can i get linux for free ?

8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Are you kidding me ?
    Jesus H. [expletive deleted] Christ, GO GOOGLE IT ALREADY !
    Or do some reading in this forum... FFS.

9. janrocks

janrocks Guest

To my knowledge linux-xp has been discontinued, or is so buggy as to be unusable. Never in a million years... XP isn't great, why try to copy it's faults (and charge for it?)

A good set of reasons to avoid this release.

10. chris4585

chris4585 Member

dude, there's tons of linux distros... ubuntu, you can get a free ubuntu live cd from: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
    theres Suse, gentoo, freebsd, fedora core, arch, all of those are some i know, and GOOGLE! :)

11. drakshug

drakshug Member

I don't see the point of paying for a distro. For XP refugees try any KDE based distro such as kubuntu or, easily the best, PCLinuxos - the distro hopper stopper. Google Linux livecd and download a few ISO live disks to try before you install. They'll let you boot from cd or dvd and see though they'll run slower than a full install.
    I'd try pclinuxos, kubuntu or sabayon for starters.

12. killaklan

killaklan Regular member

opensuse has always been good to me

13. janrocks

janrocks Guest

And debian has been great for me.

I tried a few others a week or 2 ago, but ended up back where I'm happy.

PClinux didn't like the existing file structure on my data drive and refused to mount it.. Strange, but a stopper for me as I need the data on my drive, and it's too big to backup and wipe.

Suse refused to boot after installing, so that went in the bin without further ado..

Slackware had some big problems with screen resolution.. refused to run in anything over 640x480.. trying higher caused bsod!

Ubuntu.. enough said, I ran it for a few weeks last year until I got fed up with broken dependencies.

Kubuntu.. I don't like KDE, so a non starter.. I'd assume the broken dependencies will be the same as Ubuntu..

DSL.. too old, uses oldstable repositories and I need more cutting edge tools.. Broke it quickly trying to install some more modern libs...

Dream linux... didn't find my network hardware on install, but ran fine as a live cd.

MyahOS.. works great on my P2, but same problem with screen res as slackware.. couldn't find the xorg.conf file to make changes, and couldn't really be bothered hunting too far for it.

Gentoo.. I don't have enough ram to run the installer/compiler.. non starter.

Puppy... not suitable for full desktop use. Uses a strange mechanism for saving settings and files.. doesn't like being forced to run on a normal ext3 type installation.

Feather.. network connectivity problems again, and out dated software problems.

These are all personal and subjective views referencing 2 days of attempting to find a new distro when debian was having problems with the mirrors due to the RC2 release.
    My hardware is old and unusual, especially the matrox graphics card. My experiences may not relate to the findings of others.

To correct a common misconception posted above..

FreeBSD is not linux.. It's unix and runs on a dos file system.
    Not recommended for a first timer, the BSD community have very little time for inexperienced users, so help via the forums and sites is pretty minimal.. Expect a lot of RTFM type replies if you ask for help with something basic.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2007
  14. drakshug

drakshug Member

Yeah janrocks, i'd agree with you there. I stuck with ubuntu for about a year but I was in the same boat as you. The 2007 release of pclinux isn't out yet. They are currently at TR4 and there are some bugs being ironed out. Texstar and his team won't announce it as stable until it is all ironed out. The .93 version is what I use and no probs but the iso is hard to get. Kubuntu was ok but no.
    I think we all find our most suitable distro and it is fun trying out all the variants til we stick on one we like (but a bit frustrating too sometimes)

15. chris4585

chris4585 Member

i agree as well, its hard to find "your" distro of linux you like best, i thought ubuntu was the shit till i tried others, and realized there wasnt much i could do with it, and i've tried so many distros so far i havent liked many, but i'm still looking and are new so yeah

16. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I like my debian, with it's homebrew customisations..

Now I see a lot of people running mandriva. It seems to support modern hardware very well.. Unless you are running antiques like I an forced to I would be very tempted to give it a go.. otherwise stay in the mainstream, mostly for ease of finding software.

Would anybody find a list of software sources and setup tricks useful? like maybe a generic partitioning giude and some things about configuring xfree86/xorg files.. and the other big bug-bear.. networking?
    I can find the time.. but is there a need?

17. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Why bother jan ?
    It's not worth the time, most folks will still ask to be spoonfed...

18. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Thought I'd ask 'em.. Now to sit back and wait for the silence........................................................................................................................................

Oh.. and Debian Etch has finally gone stable.. Check your sources.list file for references to "testing" folks.. and change any you find to "etch" Don't jump for "stable" just yet.. not all the mirrors have been updated.

Sarge users should change from "stable" to either "sarge" or "oldstable" depending on the mirrors.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007