1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liquid Video dvd+r media Sucks to me

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Jdilla, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

yesterday i purchased a ten pack of this crap ass media on circuit city. i backed up a movie on it, checked with dvd identifier who was its manufactur, turns out it was optodisc. now some of you would like this, but as for me optodisc sucks. it only played on 1 of 6 dvd players. and the one that it played in the quality was garbage. plus i can tell the dvd player was getting abuse by this disk since it was vibrating like a dildo. mind you this dvd player played perfectly fine with "memorex", and "fujifilm", my ps2 couldnt read the disk. my multiformat zenith dvd player, rattle and shaked when i put the optodisc in. difference when i inserted my past dvd backups, played perfectly fine. moral of my story is, i wouldnt buy liquid video never again, as a matter of fact im returning this crap to circuit city today

2. jay33

jay33 Regular member

Jdilla, if you have a Office max near by you should check out their deal on Princo DVD-R media. A 50 pack for 9.99, after rebate. I have burned 6 movies and 2 PS2 games with these and every one has burned fine and plays fine. I"m very pleased with these....price and performance.

3. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

i appreciate the advise but i think ill pass. im very skeptical about media that i havent burn with before since this incident happen. for now on, im sticking to what ive burn with in the past. memorex or fujifilm, they are both manufactured by ricoh.

4. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I guess I can understand that. In my case I try and avoid RICOH-JPN, especially under the Memorex label. I've had too many audio/FMV problems with these discs for PS2 backups. These Princo discs, however, seem to work great for me.

5. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

jay33 i understand your problems with ricohjpn. i dont know if this may have anything to do with what your burner is, or what kind of program you use to burn your ps2 games. because in my case thats all i use to burn ps2 games and have never-ever encountered your problems, dont know why but thank god i havent had problems with ricoh, even some cmc mag, disk under the memorex brand have worked wonderful to me. in the other hand if princo works for you, stick with it. if it aint broken dont fix it right? but alot of people have complained with princo about the long run. in the other hand most people like the ricoh brand. to each its own i guess.

6. jay33

jay33 Regular member

CMC-MAG discs have worked fine for me. I've read some horror stories about them, but I have some PS2 games burned on them that are nearly a year old and they work fine. I do think burners and programs play a big part in how well certain discs burn/play. I have 2 Sony burners in my computer, DW-U12A and DRU-510A. I haven't run across any compatibility problems outside of the RICOH-JPN Magnavox discs and some LONGTEN cheap-o's I bought off the web. Thoss suckers produced a lot of coasters, so LONGTEN is 4-sure a manufacturer I would steer cleer of. Never had coasters until those LONGTEN discs.

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Ritek G04. Do a search in this forum for "quality media" and read up.

8. valis

valis Member

I agree that Liquid Video 2x DVD-R is crap (at least from my experience). Unfortunately, Liquid Video are the only DVD-Rs that I've tried using in my burner so far. My burner is a Lite-on and is supposed to work with DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW. I hope that this isn't a problem with my burner. I couldn't burn either DVD video or data correctly with any of the three Liquid Video disks that I tried. I could actually see visible indications that that burn didn't go right when I held the disk up to the light. I was looking for scratches and finger prints and I could see that the data wasn't properly imprinted on the DVD. I thought it was my imagination at first. On one of the disks I could see that half of the disk had data on it and the other half didn't. It was like the data imprint was ok on one half of the disk and super faint or non-existent on the other side. The disks are going back to Circuit City today. They were $17.95 for 25 (after rebates). I think Circuit City is selling Liquid Video so that people will get frustrated and just buy the more expensive disks. I'll buy my disks somewhere besides Circuit City from now on. I'll just stick to Memorex DVD+R for now. Memorex has been totally reliable.

I've been thinking of trying Princo, Sky or GQ. Has anyone used these brands with
    a Lite-On LDW 411S DVD+/-R burner?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2004
  9. Buik

Buik Regular member

jay33. I saw the ad, went to the store, looked at the label & don't remember them being "Princo". It was something more like "Sonic". This is in Albuquerque,NM. Figuring it would be a waste of money I did not buy. Did I screw up?

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Instead of wasting time and money on super cheap discs that are going to give you headaches just go to supermediastore.com or rima.com and get some Ritek G04s for a buck apiece.

Princos are poop but if you really want to buy them then power to you.

11. jay33

jay33 Regular member

Buik, the Princo at Office max is under the label of StarLogic. I have now burned 19 of these and haven't had any major problems with them at all. I did notice one slight pause on a chapter change on My Boss's Daughter that I backed up, but overall I have been VERY pleased with the performance of these Princo discs. For 20 cents each you just can't beat it.

12. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

jay33, i heard that princo isnt really worth it in the long run.. supposively the media starts to wear out sooner than the 100 years of life

13. jay33

jay33 Regular member

lol...there are all sorts of rumors as to ho wlong media will last. I think th econditions they are kept in has a lot to do with it. I guess if theses Princon discs only last 80 years instead of 100 I won't be too upset....lol. Seriously, in 5-10 years these type of DVD discs will be obsolete, anyway.

14. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

did i say a joke or something?? jay, im just trying to say man, thats what ive heard. besides how good are these princo's on playing back in different dvd players .. how many dvd players have they played back without a problem???

15. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I think the method and program you use has more to do with how compatible a burned disc is with various players. I can only state what I know first hand with the Princo's I'm using. We have 3 DVD players and a PS2. These discs work fine in all my players, mostly because I know the best method for me to make them compatible.

As for the joke...I can't help but laugh when I hear somebody seriously state the 100 years thing. That's just a guesstimate...like You or I will be around in 100 years to say BUNK...lol.

16. Buik

Buik Regular member

jay33. Tx for the reply on the discs. Maybe I should have bought them afterall. Was watching the pocket book at the time. Kicking myself in the ... now. BTW, was unable to log onto Afterdawn last night. Thought maybe the servers were down.

17. MysticE

MysticE Active member

If you want to save some dollars, RitekG03's (2x) are a good choice. 80 cents a piece delivered from Meritline in 100 packs.

18. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

Jay33 i went to officemax.com and i couldnt find the media that you said you are purchasing from them, checked with the search engine for "starlogic" all i got was monitors, can you please give me a webaddress displaying to media you are talking about that sells for $10 dollars for a 50pk since its soooo hard to believe this deal actually exists.

19. jay33

jay33 Regular member

That deal has been over for a couple of weeks. Funny, I never saw the Starlogic discs at my local Office Max until the week of the sale. They still have them, but now I think they are 30 or 40 for a 50 disc spindle. You snooze.....you loose.

20. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Unfortunately some have reported playback problems with Princos after about a year. You can get high quailty RitekG03's for about 80 cents a piece and you don't have to run all over town and play silly rebate games.