1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lite-On 48x - 24x - 48x

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by stez, Feb 3, 2003.

1. stez

stez Guest

Hi all

I've just purchased the Lite-On 48x Writer after it was recommended to me. But I can't get it to write at anywhere near 48x.

I'm using Nero (that came bundled with it), i've got 384 meg Ram, 80.0 gig HDD (98% full) and am running Win 2000.

I only ever burn audio, direct from my HDD and the fastest i can get it to write is about 12x.

I'm using 'Superior' CDR, do you think that might be the problem?, the disks are supposedly 'All Speeds'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2003
  2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Check your IDE channel DMA setting (set to "DMA if available"), for the W2K device manager.

3. stez

stez Guest

I changed my IDE settings to 'DMA if available' and it has improved the speed, thanks. However it is still only burning at about 24x.

Do you think that is the fastest i will be able to write at?

It's not a major problem, i just kinda expected it to write at 48x if that's what it's supposed to write at!?!

Maybe i'm just being greedy!!

Do you think i would benefit from buying some better quality cdr's?

Cheers

4. manonyght

manonyght Member

I have a 48X Verbatim CD burner and I have the same problem with NERO. However, CD Mate has consistently allowed me to burn at 48X to complete a 2-3 minute burn for a 600-700 MB CD recording. I thought about contacting NERO but as long as CD Mate works for me I'm happy. I have a Gig and half of RAM and that seems to help because I can create a large buffer for the 48X drive when using NERO. I do believe that part of the problem is the limitation of NERO to allocate RAM. NERO is still my HERO, despite this small shortcoming.