1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LITE-ON LDW-811S Logical Unit Communication Problems / ASPI Layer Problems??

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by andymac, Dec 1, 2003.

1. andymac

andymac Member

I just got my hands on one of the new Lite-On products, and LDW-811S (8x DVD+R etc.) but whenever I try to decode discs onto my hard disk I get a Logical Unit Communication Failure after a few minutes of activity.

I'm going to update the firmware tonight (assuming the drive wasn't shipped with the latest version - unlikely) to see if it makes any difference, but was wondering whether anyone else had come across this problem?

Is it likely to be:
    1) a firmware issue
    2) a windows xp aspi layer etc. issue?

Has anyone had similar problems with other drives and what was the solution?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Andy

2. meseriasu

meseriasu Member

I just received the 811s put it in the pc and does not recognized any media... blank or written? is this a driver problem? I'm running on XP pro

3. Optor

Optor Member

I'm running the same burner and haven't had any problems at all. I'm using XP, Shrink, Nero6 and Decrypt. I burned "Coneheads" last night in 15 min. Memorex DVD+R 4x media. Worked like a charm, I was very pleased. No problems with ASPIlayer. Read the media perfectly on playback on the computer as well as my stand alone Panasonic DVD player ( which by the way does not support DVD-R/W as per the manual) Seems like a software conflict? I'm just a newbie so I don't have the expertise on trouble shooting. All I can say is that it works great, with my config. I have Athlon 1800, Maxtor 120gig, 512 ram, 64 Geforce,
    Windows XP. Hope this helps

4. ricecrisp

ricecrisp Member

You must install ASPI exactly like this.
    Wipe any old aspi layers and must be all of them.
    Restart
    Reinstall the new aspi layers. Use the force aspi layers over the adaptec aspi.
    Restart
    Use aspi check to see if it works.
    ASPI install is such a hassle. Sometimes I folow directions and it still won't work and then it finally does after two three times. I'm not sure if it is a directory related. Some times XP needs an install/repair option. I don't like it but it works on occasion.

5. joeqman

joeqman Member

Alright everybody this worked
    Like you all I purchased a 811s and have nothing but problems all week I upgraded to the recommended firmware HOSP and still had problems BUT!!!
    the new HSTQ firmware fixed all my problems at one time. It was to the point that if I burned it up I didnt care.(Im so glad I didnt)
    Hope this might help someone else.
    XP
    nero
    Recordmax now

6. ModIt

ModIt Member

Where did u get that firmware joeqman

7. ModIt

ModIt Member

I just got my 811S a short while ago and i was on some memorex -r blanks and it works preety good but now i have got some other blanks and this lite on drive records it but it dosen't work in my ps2 nor dvd player nor xbox when its done no matter what speed i record at and for some reason the new firmware from lite on only makes u record at 2x or 4x for -r blanks whisch is "HSOP". But my sony dru500ax works the blanks good. The main problem i've seen with this lite-on is that after recording on the blank like it has different layers of recording as if it was changing speeds when it was recording and i know thats what causing the problem for the dvd to read. I tried a no-name +r blank and it did the same thing record but has serious problems to read. I also found a memorex i was using first and it did the same shades in the recording but the memorex worked soo no i don't know what to say now. The sony dosen't make any shades in the recording. Can anyone help me?? I tried it on my other pc and it has the same shades of recording in the burning.

8. joeqman

joeqman Member

I use webcrawler as my browser
    I typed in Lite-on 811s firmware upgrade
    I checked a couple of sites and found some alternatives including HSTQ upgrade, I flashed the drive now it reads properly.As far as the discs are concerned ive stayed with memorex and have few problems. Now and then I have one that doesnt burn(keep your temp dir empty)You may also have a program conflict. I use Record Now for PS2 Games and acombo of DvdDecrypter(3.1.6 version) not the new 3.2with DVD2one and copytoDVD great combination.
    if you cant find it contact me again and I'll send it to you. By the nero 6 causes big conflicts with software mentioned above

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

10. joeqman

joeqman Member

thanks Neph

11. Nephilim

12. gotisos

gotisos Guest

This one should be a sticky!!!!!!

Too many people already need these tools

Thanks, Got Iso's?

13. ModIt

ModIt Member

Ok Nothing seems ho help my 811S and am tired of messing with. I sent for a Sony dru530a and i'll stick to my sony after this. It still has shades of recording in it. i put back the original firmware it came with the shades show less it plays but freeze up a whole lot in the movie and my ps2 games i do on it don't boot.

14. joeqman

joeqman Member

let me know if you want to get rid of it

15. ModIt

ModIt Member

Yeah i surely do

16. Nephilim

ModIt,

Your Litey is showing the different shades because it doesn't start out at full speed, it starts slower and then ratchets up after a bit. I don't believe DRU-500 does that.

From reading your posts, I would venture to say that your Litey is less tolerant of the cheap no-name media than your Sony which, in my view, isn't such a bad thing. Higher quality media will give you less errors and higher compatability and can be had for a little less than a buck apiece online (Ritek G04).

Burning at 8X especially requires a higher grade media for the best compatability - the cheaper dyes tend to fare pretty bad at 8X.

Many, many, many problems can be avoided by using decent media :) The cheap stuff isn't such a good deal in the long run!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2004