1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lite-on LH-20A1P detection and disc read problems

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by hoskind1, Jun 2, 2007.

1. hoskind1

hoskind1 Member

Hello im new here :) recently bought a new LH-20A1P dvd rewriter and im having a few problems with it..

firstly. When i insert a DVD+R disc into the drive it appears to read then does nothing then reads again and comes up with the autoplay box ... yep all fine then i goto my computer to check the drive ( D: ) and to discover not only has the drive changed from DVD-RAM drive? to cd drive ... and displays no data space available whatsoever.I also dont know why it says DVD-RAM drive when i should really say DVD-RW drive?

second. I cannot to any attempt get nero or dvdsanta or any other kind of program to work with the writer i have flashed the dvd-rewriter with the latest firmware from the manufactuors website with no success.

ive tried it on all different positions on the motherboard such as it having only 1 cable attactched and being master then attached to the hd as slave and vice versa to hd. also have connected to dvd drive as master and slave and vice versa and having the same effect whatsoever.
    if any more specifactions is needed ill b happy to post it up

many thanks
    Dave

2. chakotay2

chakotay2 Member

I am having exact same issue. Have you found anything more?

3. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi ;-)
    Firstly welcome to you both.
    Secondly the disc initialisation problem will most likely be cured by f/w update.
    Thirdly the CD drive bit once a disc is inserted is a common fault of windows.
    Lastly but by no means least, it shows up as DVD-RAM drive because that's what it is.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  4. chakotay2

chakotay2 Member

In my case the firmware would not update. I tried multiple different firmware updaters and same result.

DVD's would play and so would music CD's, but just not data.

Then while continuing to mess with the drive I switched to the other position on the ribbon cable and also went into bios and forced it to redected the drive. Now everything works and the firmware updated fine. I am not sure which solved the problem, moving it on the cable or going into bios and setting it to auto (which it was before) but having it redetect the drive in bios. Guess I could move it back to the other cable but why tempt fate!? I had previously switched master/slave/cable select but that didn't fix it, it was only the other two steps. Hope this helps someone else out!

5. barantro

barantro Guest

I agree 100%. I have the same drive in an external usb 2.0 configuration. I had the same problems, but when I updated the f/w I was able to use all functions without error.

6. hoskind1

hoskind1 Member

hey again i've already updated the firmware from the start and thats what is bugging me shudnt it work straight off. It just refuses to detect DVD+R only showing up as a cd drive so no possible way of dragging and dropping onto windows's own burning wizard which is much more efficiant and quicker then off nero if i say so myself ^_^
    My BIOS also has update i tried to manually also but no success .....

7. barantro

barantro Guest

Concerning Windows Wizard v. Nero. I agree that Windows Wizard is easier for simple drag and drop burning but for advance burning Nero has more controls and advantages.

I agree the f/w upgrade should have made an immediate difference. I hate to ask, but was it the latest? And have you upgraded it incrementally?

8. hoskind1

hoskind1 Member

i just downloaded the most recent f/w update which stated it should detect more disc media inserted and thats it..