1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lite On LTR-52246S coaster maker

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by lcarocha, Dec 22, 2004.

1. lcarocha

lcarocha Member

Like the title says, my CD-RW has turned into a coaster factory ruining every single CD I've tried to burn; this started the day I bought the burner, I didn't return it since I had a Plextor burner that was slower but at least it was RELIABLE. Problem is that I made the mistake of giving the Plextor away to my father and sticked to the "newer and faster" Lite On.

I've tried almost every trick in the book; I've tried to use the burner on both primary and sencondary IDE (My main HDD is a SATA drive so the Primary IDE Master slot is available), using it as a Slave, using Cable Select, 40 and 80 wire cable and ALWAYS end up with a coaster.
    I use Nero ver 6.6.0.0, but have also tried the WinXP embedded burner and Fireburner. While using Nero I could hear the motor spining up on and off continously, the process bar said it was burning the lead in area, after aprox. 3 min Nero would continnue to "burn" the CD but it took ages to complete. Finally after 10 minutes I have a..... COASTER.... yes, you read right... a useless CDR with only the inner ring burned with data, and the rest? well thank you.
    Also, if you insert any kind of CD, be it and audio CD, CDR, CD-RW the unit takes ages to read it and display the content of the disk, I can hear the motor spin up on and off just like when it's burning

I would gladly return the unit, now the problem is that the etailer from witch I bought the burner has gone out of business and I'm stuck with a unit that it even has problems to read a normal CD... geeeez.

So, if any one has an idea of what I should do to at least make use of the money I spent on this unit I would really apreciate it.

BTW, I've used almost all brands of media, both CDR and CD-RW and the results are the same

Intel 2.6 800 Mhz
    Asus P4V800-X
    512 MB PC3200
    Win XP SP2
    Maxtor 120 GB SATA Drive
    Western Digital 80 GB on Primary IDE on Cable Select (appears as Slave)
    Liteon LTR-52246S on Primary IDE on Cable Select (appears as Master)
    Toshiba DVD-R SD-M1712 om Secondary IDE on Cable Select (appears as Master)
    ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 MB
    SB Audigy

2. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

Sounds like its cactus, maybe contact liteon and explain the sitch to them. Does the burn log have any errors? Or does Nero think alls well?