1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lite-on LVW-5005A help

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Zipdrive, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Zipdrive

Zipdrive Member

Hi All

I have just bought a used Lite-On LVW-5005A DVD recorder (US/CDN model Sept 2005) and am wanting to downgrade the firmware from 1101 to the MV bypass version 1098. I've searched through the forum for info and I'm just needing some clarification before I start.

My units serial # was: 0102-1840-0101-G2BD (100-010D) with the old worn out DDW-451S drive (tray problems). I've since replaced the drive with a Sony DW-U18A and the serial # now reads as 0102-1840-0101-UYS1 (100-010D), if that matters.

The firmware # on the back sticker reads F:LNFA1101

Now since replacing the DVD drive the unit operates just great. It records and plays great with the exception of the MV protection and has no freezing issues when FF like some replacement drives cause. I lucked out by having the Sony drive in an older PC.

Now this is where I need some help. I think I've got the correct firmware downgrade. I downloaded it from the Lite-On firmware thread on club.myce.com. The last link for the 5005 version (FLNFA1098.ES5.0102.184x.zip). As well I downloaded Mr Wizzards firmware patching tool and have patched the firmware.

So my question is, do I have the correct firmware for downgrading ?

Also do I need to use the original DVD drive to do the downgrade or can I leave the unit as is with the Sony drive ?

Thanks

2. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Some Sony drives were made by Liteon And wiil work fine on all functions.

While ther were a number of 5005 with with various Serial #. The 1140 and 1840 Could be hacked For Analog MV as in VHS tape I have both But have not used them for over 2 years

I do have the correct Firmware I could not find the disks for both BUT they are on a HDD that I would have to install in a computer with win 98 OS

It would sound as this may be the correct firmware but be Careful Many versions of firmware for the 5005 couldnot be used in varius 5005 units

You Do Not Have To Use The Original DVD Drive For A Firmware instal

The ilo is a liteon Clone Any INFO will be relevent

Try This Site Someone may have the firmware needed

http://www.normediasolutions.com

I think you lucked out and got a good unit

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  3. Zipdrive

Zipdrive Member

Thanks LC

I did the firmware downgrade with no problems using the Sony drive and the firmware I mentioned. I figured what the heck, as I only paid $2.49 for the 5005 in the first place.

I first downgraded the unit with the original 098 and comfirmed everything worked as it should, then I applied the hacked 098. It's now region free and MV free as I recorded 20 minutes of a Disney movie with no issues, and playback was fine. The only thing I didn't do is set Mr Wizzards patcher to enable 3hr recording as I heard it can cause jitter problems on some 5005's.

Now to backup some of my old VHS tapes.

4. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

IF you used the Correct firmware It will have a 3hr LP mode
    The only separate entry is for the reagon or reagon free.

$2.98 is a bargan

Go to that site

5. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

zip drive

“My units serial # was: 0102-1840-0101-G2BD (100-010D) with the old worn out DDW-451S drive (tray problems). I've since replaced the drive with a Sony DW-U18A and the serial # now reads as 0102-1840-0101-UYS1 (100-010D), if that matters.”

[ That # is correct The 0101 indicate Firmware 101 past that the last #s do not matter as the drive was replaced The Sony is a liteon and will be ok\

“The firmware # on the back sticker reads F:LNFA1101”

[ Again That would indicate firmware 101 The first F is for firmware which is LNFA1101 ]

“The last link for the 5005 version (FLNFA1098.ES5.0102.184x.zip). As well I downloaded Mr Wizzards firmware patching tool and have patched the firmware.

{ That is the correct firmware The first F is for firmware The firmware for your 5005A {1840|} Is
    LNFA0098.ES5

“The only thing I didn't do is set Mr Wizzards patcher to enable 3hr recording as I heard it can cause jitter problems on some 5005's.”

[ If you used Mr Wizzards hack the unit will be Analog MV free as found in VHS tape and have a 3hr LP mode, check for any issues ] I have not seen or known of any problems like jitter.
    The unit itself is not compliant.

Sorry for the late reply but had problems
    Very good job of tracking down an answer for your needs’