1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lite-On Series DVD Recorders???

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Angelwing, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Angelwing

Angelwing Guest

Is this brand any good? One of my PeeCees has one of these burners and was wondering about the DVD Recorder deck. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. the-texan

the-texan Member

I own two of these recorders, and they work great. Bought the 5001 when they first came outMid November 2004, to replace my VCR that was giving me trouble. VCR gave out, Recorder used every day since. Was impressed enough to buy the 5005 unit about 4 months ago, also no problems. I also have their recorders in my computers with no problems. I do alot of video recording and editing, no problems with their units. Give them a try, you might just like them.

3. Angelwing

Angelwing Guest

Thanks I saw the 5005 at Costco and was tempted on getting it over the Pioneer one I saw. I have heard good things about the 5005

4. Angelwing

Angelwing Guest

But.. Im confused... which one is the best one?

- Lite-On LVW-5005 DVD Dual Recorder

$186.95

or

- Lite-On Technology LVW-5005 DVD+/-RW Recorder

$289.99

Thanks a bunch!

5. the-texan

the-texan Member

Both are the same thing, only one has better price. I bought my 5005 from Costco several months ago for $179.00, was $100.00 CHEAPER THAN ELSEWHERE.

6. shrunkit

shrunkit Member

LiteOn 5005 is one of a few quality DVD +/- recorder with an unofficial Macrovision patch and 3 hour movie mode. This is true for even some recently produced machines (up to Oct, Nov 2004 or even more recent).

It is not as polished as some of the matured Japanese DVR recorders such as Pioneer or Panasonic (which have some rudimentary editing and DVDRam, slipstream recording), but the LiteOn is catching up and is generally 25% or more cheaper.

Costco had this for $155 on Thanksgiving deals and on recent clearance for $160 (was $180 as previously stated).

7. OZ132HOME

OZ132HOME Member

I bought the LiteOn 5007 from Sears for $149. Use it to archive old VHS tapes. So far (a dozen or so DVD's) it has worked well with Sony media. It even copies SOME commercial DVD's--although I of course would NEVER do that.
    DVD's play back well in my 2 year old cheapy player, and MOST of them in my 3 year old Fisher.
    Have only used HQ and SP speeds so far, trying to maintain quality.

8. Raised

Raised Member

OK guys. I had my 5005 for six months with no problems. Transfered a lot of old family tapes to DVD. Suddenly I had nothing but problems with audio stuttering and echoes, disk freeze. I sent it back to Liteon to be repaired. That was 1 month ago. I've been on three other forums were there was nothing but complaints of all sorts. What are you guys doing right. I noticed lately that the voltage in the house has been 125V, it normally is 120V. Do you think that has anything to do with the problems I've been having?

9. alfie80

alfie80 Member

I had a slight disapointment with the liteon 5004 from new the recorded sound was slightly off from the vision, a run through with a lens cleaning DVD has sorted it (an engineer in a store commented that all lenses tend to get a bit of dust on them even in storage) its fine now!

10. OZ132HOME

OZ132HOME Member

Oh Oh! I've only had mine a couple of weeks. Hope it doesn't crap out after six months!
    As for voltage, 125 doesn't sound bad to me. HEAT is supposed to big a big enemy of DVD recorders, however. Some who modify them add an extra fan. I try to remember to turn mine off when not in use, and keep good air circulation around the machine.
    And keep fingers crossed...