1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lite On SHW 160P6S won't burn Memorex 8X DL

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Jackpine, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Jackpine

Jackpine Member

I have successfully burned many Memorex 2.4X DL discs using my Lite On SHW 160P6S burner and Nero Burning ROM 7. My burner firmware is version PS0B.

I recently purchased Memorex 8X DL and tried to burn a disc. It wouldn't work. I got an error message saying that the burn failed. (No reason given.) So, I went to the Lite ON website and flashed the latest firmware version (PS0C)for my burner and tried again. I still can't burn the 8X media, however, I am able to burn the 2.4X Memorex.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it because the latest firmware does not cater to Memorex 8X DL media?

Thanks for any help.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Try a Verbatim DL disc. Memorex isn't your best bet for any DVD media.

3. Jackpine

Jackpine Member

Well, yeah. I could try Verbatim, or any other brand that works. But I would like to know why this 8X won't burn, and how to fix it. I must have burned about 500 Memorex 2.4X dual layers, with only about half a dozen coasters.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Maybe it doesn't like the newer Memorex media. The choice is yours, whether or not to try a different brand of media.

5. Jackpine

Jackpine Member

I will try a Verbatim and see what happens. In the meantime, I have written to Lite On asking if the current firmware (January 2, 2008) for my burner is to make it compatible with Memorex 8X DL. I am still waiting for a response.

6. Jackpine

Jackpine Member

Lite On replied to my question. Here is their reply:

Thank you for contacting Liteon IT Support.

Kindly be informed that this model support burn Memorex 8X Dual Layer discs.
    Any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

=======================================
    Customer Service Division

Now I have to figure out why my burner will burn Memorex 2.4X but not Memorex 8X dual layer discs. Does anyone have any suggestions in terms of what I should be looking for?
    Lite-On IT Corp. www.liteonit.com