1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LITEON 5005 tray does not eject everytime

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by TRAVELMGR, Feb 1, 2007.

1. TRAVELMGR

TRAVELMGR Member

Have had the machine for 2+ years, use it a lot(including when rental DVDs can't be read for ripping/burning) and does great for me except that , early on, I would engage "Eject", hear some mechanical sounds but the tray stayed closed. Sometimes I would have to hit "eject" a couple of times before it finally did would it was supposed to do. It seems lately, it has gotten a little worse. It reminds me of how the VHS machines would hang up in ejecting the cartridge. Anyone have any ideas including maybe upgrading to a newer model?
    Also, is it just me, or am I not seeing firmware update at the LiteOn site? As always, this old ass Newbie/proud Geek-in-training thank you for any input.

2. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

3. TRAVELMGR

TRAVELMGR Member

Ended up with a simple[r] fix. On the recommendation of a Costco employee, I was able to return it for a refund, after 16 months of use, bought 2 newer models(5116), with the VCR+ programming feature,for the price I paid for the old one. I told Costco that I had contacted LiteOn,who told me to download some software, which didnot fix the problem.
    The old remote, to me was more user friendly. Oh well, can't have everything. Mind you, because I liked the machine, I was only going in to buy another LiteOn without any awareness of their, then, liberal return policy. From what I understand, they may have recently changed that to 90 days. Every once in a while the good guys win.

4. TRAVELMGR

TRAVELMGR Member

Forgive the bad manners, but thank you for your input and referral links. There is nothing like having sources for information.

5. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

No Problem

Costco has changed their policy as relates to electronic equipment such as a DVD recorder.
    I had assumed by the unit’s age that you wanted to maintain the hack and other features of the 5005 and is why I gave those sites for info on a possible drive replacement The 5005 is one of the last that can be hacked.
    My Opinion!! The Liteon is a very good unit,

6. TRAVELMGR

TRAVELMGR Member

You're right about it being a good unit. That's why I couldn't resist the purchase of 2 new ones. My 5005 was manifesting increasing problems with the tray cycling(opening/closing). Not opening, was becoming progressively a problem. It was also closing and reopening on its own.
    Thank you, again, for taking the time to pass along the info.