1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LiteOn 812S DVD Writer Problem

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Falconer, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Falconer

Falconer Member

Right everyone, I would REALLY appreciate some feedback on this subject because it's being absolutely driving me insane for a while now. PLEASE have a read

I've had my LiteOn 812S DVD Writer for some time and when I figured out how to decrypt, encode and burn DVDs they worked fine on more than one of my DVD standalone players.

I then formatted my computer due to the purchase of new hardware (major upgrade) and ran into a whole heap of problems.

The original method I used was to decrypt using DVD Decrypter, then encode and filter out with DVD shrink (foreign languages etc) and reducing it from about 7gb to the standard 4.5gb DVD size. I'd then burn it and it would work fine. I also used DVD X Copy for better compatibility and it that was using the simple process where only the movie was copied, no menu's or anything. I used the new Datawrite V3 Red Discs which were very cheap, but very compatible, and I had no problems.

After the format, burning with DVD shrink resulted in the movie freezing up towards the end, and after forum searching other people ran into that problem too with no specific way of fixing it.

So after being given some advice I installed Intervideo DVD Copy which still didn't work and neither would DVD X Copy. Nero had always had strange compatibilty issues with my player(s) too. Also, somehow it'd knocked itself out of DMA mode and into PIO which takes up all your system resources and is generally, nasty!

I uninstalled the drivers for my Writer and rebooted Windows XP and it did it's necessary crap and hey presto everyone was set normal for the drive, DMA and all that.

So I tried writing again and lord behold it starts working. Decrypting with DVD Decrypter, Encoding with DVD Shrink and burning with Intervideo DVD Copy results in perfect playback of DVD movies, high quality etc.

HOWEVER

Burning a DVD without an error is pretty much a 50/50 deal where 50% of the time I get a swirly burn looking mark around the DVD which obviously, ruins it and sometimes the disc is burnt perfectly without anything wrong with it and plays fine in all 3 of my standalone DVD players.

So far, I've only noticed this sort of error when burning movies. Data discs seem to be fine at the moment...

For the record, I bought a faulty pack of Datawrite V3 Red Discs resulting in the problem for a lot of lost DVD movie and Data discs.

So recently I have been trying recommended discs and across 2 types I have the same burn errors where marks can clearly be seen on discs. On the third type of media, it just won't play in my DVD player, but that's probs the type of disc.

Here is a picture of the swirly burn mark on the Datawrite 4x Red Discs

[​IMG]

I was told that at some point they changed the way that they made this disc which resulted in the quality being a lot worse. I'd also lost some valuable data on discs too with "cycle redundancy checks" being reported

So I moved onto what I was told was a whole new disc and was getting raves. It was the Datawrite Yellow 4x with Ritek Dye.

[​IMG]

That would not play in my DVD player at all but seems to burn Data fine. I was then highly recommended the Datawrite Grey 8x discs

[​IMG]

...and with the Red discs, they have a 50% chance success rate but instead of a swirly thing round the centre, they have marks around the edges of the disc.

*sigh, is this a deteriated drive or what guys? I get perfect DVDs sometimes but half the time, I don't... what could it be?

Please, have a read through and try and reply with some feedback, I'd really appreciate it, hope I didn't leave anything out.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  2. wylds

wylds Guest

1. Did you upgrade your firmware to USOQ for the 812S. This is absolutely necessary. Be sure and start burning at 4X until you have it all working. It wouldn't hurt to have a couple R/W disk to practice with as you can rewrite on them and not be making coasters.I was using Ritek Ridata disk for 8X+r and had the same problem as you. Out of over a hundred burns I have made only one coaster and that was my fault. Everything I know about burning I learned by reading all I could in A/D. So you are in the right place. Just read more and learn from others problems. Media is the next main ingrediant and speed is the last thing to worry about as a beginer.

3. Falconer

Falconer Member

Cheers for the reply buddy, I had someone else flash the drive with new Firmware and I ain't sure what they put on so I'll check it out...

4. netscribe

netscribe Member

I've had the same problem upgraded the firmware. Used different media. No such luck. At least I know someone else out there shares my frustration.

5. trindflo

trindflo Guest

Any chance DMA for your system drive is switched off in your registry? You can have it enabled in your BIOS and still have Windows ignore it.

I've had other programs momentarily lock up my system. When burning I physically disconnect from the outside world, then shut down all programs and services I don't absolutely need. Having Norton AV suddenly decide it desperately needed to phone home might have earned me a coaster or two; the DNS service can cause all manner of strange behavior. Anything meant to protect your system will have a tendency to take over your system if it thinks there could be a problem. None of this is great when you are attempting to control hardware.

And the most evil thing of all: a weak, but not quite bad power supply.

Those are the sorts of things which come to mind when you describe odd marks on the disk from the laser. Commands didn't happen in a timely manner or soft power caused the drive mechanics to misbehave.

6. Falconer

Falconer Member

Hello folks, I believe I now have an educated, researched and theoretical answer to this life-long multi-experianced problem.

The LiteOn 812S DVD Writer is not an appropiate burner for cheap DVD media. Anomalies and all sorts of weird errors can arise due to the burner being unable to write successfully to a cheap quality disc, and as you know the discs I used weren't expensive.

After originally being recommended to do so, from many people I decided to go for a Pioneer drive. The Pioneer 108 infact. TRUTH I have used the same media, same software, other media and have not had ONE, not "1" problem, error or failure with this drive.

Either, my LiteOn did indeed physically break at some point for no reason even when it's barely used, or my theory of the media, (collaborated with others) is the reason.

I hope this helps anyone out who discovers this thread, and at the end of the day, listen to what people have to say as I did and have been so happy with my Pioneer drive!

7. QNine

QNine Member

Yea, I got the same Liteon drive and it just stopped working in the middle of burning a CD one day and hasn't worked since. It doesn't even recognize when I put CDs or DVDs in and certainly doesn't burn or play them. Soooo, I'm sending it back in to Liteon to get another, and if that one goes to hell, I'm going to try and get my $$$ back to shell out for the Pioneer. Should have known... I'm also a DJ, and Pioneer rules that world as well. :p