1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LiteOn LVW-5005 stuck on HELLO

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by gadbearr, Dec 27, 2004.

1. gadbearr

gadbearr Member

I have had my LiteON LVW-5005 a little over one month and have downloaded one upgrade so far weeks ago. My recorder was working great until this morning. When I awoke the word HELLO was on the display and now I can't get the disc tray to open with the remote or the front panel. When I hit the power button the HELLO goes away and the clock comes on with the correct time. I can only get the power button to work. No other buttons will work. I am going to cut the power to the unit tonight to see if it will reset itself. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it? I really like the recorder. Have had no problems until today.

2. gadbearr

gadbearr Member

My update to the LVW-5005

My problem is the frozen "HELLO" on the unit. I left it unplugged over night and it didn't change anything so I spent part of my day trying to call the tech support for LiteON. The first number I called... 1-888-4-LITEON tells you to phone 1-888-8-LITEON for the DVD Recorders such as the 5005 model. I phoned about 5pm my time (EST)and at 7pm I was still hearing the recorded message that all tech support were busy with other callers. I gave up and called the first number back and finally got through at around 8:30pm. I spoke with Josh and he had not heard of my problem and took all my information and faxed it over to their level 2 techs and they should respond to me within two business days as to what I need to do. He said with the holiday it might take a bit longer. So, this is where I am at right now. I am going to wait for the email from the level 2 techs to see what to do. In the meantime I phoned ecost.com to see if they would trade my bad unit for a good unit. Since I purchased it on Nov. 11th I am outside of the 30 day return window and they referred me back to LiteOn. I spent $250 for this unit and did lots of research before purchasing it and I really got good feedback for this model LVW-5005. I am very disappointed that my unit is the lemon in the bunch and that I got the HELLO kiss of death and my unit locked up. I guess I could continue to whine about it but I look around me and see that I am very blessed and right now a $250 DVD Recorder is nothing compared to what the Asian people are going through with the tsunamis damage and loss of life.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  3. gadbearr

gadbearr Member

My update to the LVW-5005. Sorry if this looks and sound like a blog. I don't mean it to be but I hope I can help someone out there if they have the same problem.

Well, as of today, no email from the Tech level 2 from LiteOn. I have removed the LVW-5005 from my entertainment center and placed in on my dresser with all the cables and the remote. I will try putting power back to it after a few days to see if the HELLO - freeze problem will go away. I am a little ticked right now at LiteOn for not responding quicker. I know with the New Year holiday I shouldn't be so bothered but I really looked forward to having a nice DVD Recorder and did lots of research before buying this one. I will attempt to phone them again tonight. At least their service center is open until 6pm PST. Did I mention that I was on the phone waiting for 2 hours the first time???!!! ;)

4. gadbearr

gadbearr Member

Update:

I have great news! Not about my Liteon LVW-5005 DVD Recorder but what I was able to accomplish. Since I didn't get any response from the merchant or the manufacturer I phoned my bank and fortunately for me, I purchased the DVD recorder with my VISA card so they said I could dispute the charge to my account since it was within 60 days of purchase. The bank mailed me an affidavit to sign and I faxed back to them. I did, and the $250 was returned to my account today. Hmmmm... I wonder if I will get a phone call at home or a message from the merchant wanting the defective unit returned now? This whole experience has left a very bad taste in my mouth with the Liteon brand. I am going to have to research the DVD Recorder brands again to find another one that I can trust. Does anyone have any suggestions?