1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liteon LVW-5005 Upgrade Downloads

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by rckowal, Dec 22, 2004.

1. rckowal

rckowal Member

Please help me to understand what I may be doing wrong here - if anything.

I just got this DVR & am quite pleased with what I've seen so far. It is replacing a Sanyo DRW-500 which IMHO is a piece of crap due to its many design flaws.

Regardless, I went to Liteon's website to look for upgrades. They are some; but I've been unable to get them to open. I hope that some one has already been through this & solved the puzzle.

When you open this link:

http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/download/index.asp

It directs you to enter the S/N in the boxes. My Liteon is the version pictured at the bottom. I've entered that S/N "0102-0143-0063-F2FC" various ways/numerous times but it always rejects it since it says it's a bad number. As a test; if I enter the S/N for the upper version, it opens OK. To me, there is something wrong with this picture!

Your help will be much appreciated. Best regards.

2. rckowal

rckowal Member

Never mind. I finally figured out what was wrong. You have to be careful to click on the correct group of "XXXXX's". They're inverted compared to the pictures.

3. gadbearr

gadbearr Member

Hello rckowal,

How long have you had your LVW-5005? I have had mine a little over one month and have downloaded one upgrade so far weeks ago. My recorder was working great until this morning. When I awoke the word HELLO was on the display and now I can't get the disc tray to open with the remote or the front panel. When I hit the power button the HELLO goes away and the clock comes on with the correct time. I am going to cut the power to the unit tonight to see if it will reset itself. Have you had any problems with yours? I really like the recorder. Have had not problems until today.

4. rckowal

rckowal Member

Gadbear,

I've had mine about a week now with all good results & no problems. I would try unplugging to see if that resets it.

How did you get yours to take the update? I follow the instructions to the letter & it does nothing.

5. gadbearr

gadbearr Member

Dick,

I went to the website and put in my serial number. It popped up with the file to download. I downloaded the file and unzipped it. AOL does that for me, no special program. I burned the file to CD using NERO just like the instructions called for and placed the CD in the DVD Recorder and powered it on and pretty much from there the Recorder steps you through the process until the firmware is loaded. It was pretty simple. The firmware file I loaded was named: LNFA1091.ESU Hope this helps.

On to my problem at the moment. I unplugged the unit to see if it would reset and no luck. I am going to leave it unplugged over night this time. Before I only unplugged it for an hour or two. I will let you know what happens.

Al

6. gadbearr

gadbearr Member

My update to the LVW-5005

My problem is the frozen "HELLO" on the unit. I left it unplugged over night and it didn't change anything so I spent part of my trying to call the tech support for LiteON. The first number I called... 1-888-4-LITEON tells you to phone 1-888-8-LITEON for the DVD Recorders such as the 5005 model. I phoned about 5pm my time (EST)and at 7pm I was still hearing the recorded message that all tech support were busy with other callers. I gave up and called the first number back and finally got through at around 8:30pm. I spoke with Josh and he had not heard of my problem and took all my information and faxed it over to their level 2 techs and they should respond to me within two business days as to what I need to do. He said with the holiday it might take a bit longer. So, this is where I am at right now. I am going to wait for the email from the level 2 techs to see what to do. In the meantime I phone ecost.com to see if they would trade my bad unit for a good until. Since I purchased it on Nov. 11th I am outside of the 30 return window and they referred me back to LiteOn. I spent $250 for this unit and did lots of research before purchasing it and I really got good feedback for this model LVW-5005. I am very disappointed that my unit is the lemon in the bunch and that I got the HELLO kiss of death and my unit locked up. I guess I could continue to whine about it but I look around me and see that I am very blessed and right now a $250 DVD Recorder is nothing compared to what the Asian people are going through with the tsunamis damage and loss of life.