1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

liteon LWD-411s

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Budz, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Budz

Budz Member

Hi

I have DVD-+R/RW by liteon. i recently bought 25 4x 4.7gb DVD-R's my drive is dual format and i have updated my firmware, but my drive doesn't even detect them.

I have contacted liteon with no reply.
    What shall i do?

2. flanman

flanman Member

I have one of the 411s models on order. When doing a lot of research before purchasing I found that this drive does not work well with some of the cheaper media out there. I would recommend getting a name brand (TDK, Maxell, Sony) media and see if it will see the media then. If so it is probably the media. Also, can you read a normal movie on the drive, or does that have problems too?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2003
  3. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

This is to everyone:

When you are about to buy a big ammount of DVD-R media, buy 2-3 of them and TEST them. Even if your drive recognises them they may be bad media, which will cause you problems. Buy media like Ritek, TDK, Maxell and NOT bulk no-name disc. They may work but they may not.

And NEVER buy 25-50 media without having burned at least 10 of them without problems.

Now Budz, I don't think that there is something you can do, maybe try a hacked firmware or wait for the next one. Try some other programs too, you never now.

4. Budz

Budz Member

Thanx alot for ur posts.

Really helpful! just bought ritek dvd-r's and they work perfectly.

My liteon drive is amazing i just hope the next firmware supports the media i bought otherwise that's a waste of £50.

I don't wanna try a hacked firmware, due to warranty problems_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Budz[/small]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2003
  5. laser_204

laser_204 Member

ok question.i have the same burner.i been reading and people are saying dvd+R is the way to go for this burner.right now i using dvd-r and im having problems.i want to get the TDK dvd-r but if +r's are working why but -r.is it ok to burn in +R.i know my dvd player will read it.

6. Budz

Budz Member

Whether you have problems or not, is not due to the format you're using. It's the brand of the media. If you have LWD-411S you should be able to burn in + or - format. The best media i have tested is the following:

Arita
    Verbatim
    CloneDisc (made by Ritek)

(all the above in both formats)

Make sure you have the latest firmware, this makes the drive compatible with more media:

http://www.liteonit.com.tw/ODD/english/english-load-firmware.htm#LDW

Below is a very reliable site, with fast delivery for media:

http://www.dvd-and-media.com/default.htm

Hope this is helpful._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Budz[/small]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2003
  7. flanman

flanman Member

I received my 411s drive last night. First thing I did was load the latest firmware from liteon. So far I am not very happy. I replaced a Pioneer A04 drive with this one. I am using TDK 2X DVD-r media and Memorex 4X dVD-r media (not the cheap imitations). I could not get one good burn last night (lost 5-6 DVd-r). Everytime I burned it would get about 3/4 way through and then give me illegal media errors?? I have used this media in my pioneer and Sony 500AX with no issues at all. I was only burning about a 3.8 gig movie. I finally tried the 4X unlabeled DVD+RW disk that came with it. That did do a good burn but it took 2 hours!! I purchased some 80 pin IDE cables today and will play with it a little more tonight. If it still does not work, I will be returning it.
    I fixed my issue. It appears the 411s needs the 80 wire ide connector. Once I replace my older 40 wire with 80 I burned to my TDK, Memorex and Ritec 4 x media fine. All three are DVD-r. Hope this helps others in the forum.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2003
  8. laser_204

laser_204 Member

hey flanman i just posted something about my problem.ok i did the firmware,im burning with TDK 2x dvd-r and all of my cds ar perfect.im burning with dvdxcopy.and i did not change my ide cable.what software are you burning with.hope i can help

9. OAKside24

OAKside24 Regular member

Got a 411s last week. Works great so far, why would this need firmware yet? it was manufactured in Oct. 2003. Anyway, I read a review about this'un and it was pretty good, called "best bang for buck". Sweet...
    --oh, and i'm guessing everones here came with RecordNow DX, the Sonic stuff, etc right? Hows RecordNow working for you all?_X_X_X_X_X_[small]...try Ares Galaxy N O W...
    FlipTop/SMDv2 | RecordNow DX | LiteOn CDVDrw
    [/small]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2003
  10. rulan

rulan Member

hi i'm new to the forum. i have the same problem has flanman with my liteon 411s. everytime i try to burn my dvd it get an error message regarding legal matters. what should i do to fix it?

to flanman: i used the ide cable that came with the dvd burner so what's the differents between a 40 pin IDE cables and a 80 pin IDE cables? is one bigger or something sorrie i'm not very good at these things.

to laser_204: do you know where i can get the dvdxcopy program? i'm new so don't flame me if i shouldn't be asking these questions.

thanx for your time.

11. soxley2k

soxley2k Guest

i have just got a 411s and have not managed to burn a working copy that works on home dvd players can anyone advise i use nero 6 and dvd decrypter or smart ripper and the ones i burn play on pc but never on home dvd

12. flanman

flanman Member

I had to purchase the 80 wire/40 pin cable seperately. I had a standard IDE cable in the pc before this problem. I am using the following to burn mine DVD's successfully.
    DVD Decrypter to rip.
    IFO edit if needed
    Nero 6 to burn to DVD.
    I have burned successfully to Ritex 2x DVD-r, 4X DVD+4, Memorex 4X DVD-r, Ritek 4X DVD-r. Since changing my cable I have not had on bad burn, and the drive is reading at close to 12x when stripping, which is much faster than the 2x for my Sony 500AX.

Also.. for the quetion on the IDE cables.. They have the same 40 pin connecter, but have different wiring for data transfer. Some people refer to them as ultra ATA cables.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2003
  13. soxley2k

soxley2k Guest

just wanted to let all the peeps know i went out and swopped the liteon dvd burner for a pioneer and it works fine burned 1st time with out any probs so it was liteon drive thats was the problem.

14. flanman

flanman Member

I think the Liteon needs the faster data transfer for burning. Only because I had a pioneer A04 on my same pc that worked fine, and I had to switch the ide cable to get the Liteon to work. A bit of a pain, but now it works fantastic, especially with 10-12x reading.

15. soxley2k

soxley2k Guest

the prob i had with liteon was it was burning the dvds but not so i could watch them on home dvd player. i see someone had a prob and sorted it out but getting a 80 pin ide cable so i counted my lead and it was already 80 so i new it was not that. i had the same prob with another dvd burner and was starting to think it was the p.c but when i got the pionner it burned dvd 1st time but i had the same prob pop up again and think it is the dvd+ i was using as i used a dvd- that came free with pionner and it burned and worked perfect.so i think its the disks that people got to watch. like liteon does not like the sony dvdw+

16. adoan84

adoan84 Member

I installed the new firmware from lite-on. I tried to play a dvd in the lite-on dvdrw 411s. The picture comes up but the sound is all distorted. Does anybody know why

17. Chewtoy

Chewtoy Guest

Has anyone been able to watch a burned movie on a home DVD unit using this Liteon drive?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2003
  18. laser_204

laser_204 Member

yes chewtoy i have the DVR412 and im burning to TDK 2x 4.7 and have not had a problem yet.they play in my dvd player and my ps2 and xbox.

19. Chewtoy

Chewtoy Guest

Thanks the one I am getting is a 411 but should be the same right? :)

20. majestyk7

majestyk7 Member

I am having a similar problem. I have a LITE-ON 411S and am writing on a Memorex 4X. I use DVDshrink and Nero5.5.

The DVDs play very nicely on my Samsung and my Kenwood but not on my APEX AD1600. It thinks it is a Picture DVD and comes up with a "folder" and nothing in it.

Question: Is the APEX AD1600 not liking the Memorex 4X or the DVDshrink/Nero5.5 combo?
    Should I try +R instead?

I used to use a Pioneer 104/A04 with RITEK G03 without problems.

Thanks,
    Majestyk7

Last edited: Dec 19, 2003