1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liteon SOWH 1633S

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by THUNDER66, Dec 13, 2004.

1. THUNDER66

THUNDER66 Member

As i sit here impatiently waiting for my new toy (liteon 1633S), anything i should know about this new drive? tips, settings, installation hints. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. framit

framit Guest

Hi, I have the same drive and it is excellent, quiet operation, perfect burns. The only thing I have done to it is update the firmware, very simple to do, this update allows the drive to recognize more media. Good all around unit at a very good price. Havn't tried dual layer burning yet media is too expensive for me just yet.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

4. THUNDER66

THUNDER66 Member

Thanks for the advice. My computer has be "apart" since Friday. Need a "burn" fix.
    LOL.
    (im using my laptop too post)

5. THUNDER66

THUNDER66 Member

ok, now let me sound stupid to the techie world. Why when installing this new drive, does it tell me to move the jumper from "slave" to "master". whats the difference? I did it anyway, and am on my way to the first burn with the new drive.

Now the second stupid question.
    If it took me about 1 hour to "read/dycrypt" a disc, and then about 45 minutes to burn it with a 4X burner. should it now take me 15 minutes to burn it with a 16X burner burning at 8X?

i know ill find out in about 20 minutes, just curious.

6. Nephilim

It sets the correct priority for it's respective postion on the IDE cable.

Normal burn times are as follows,

1X - 1 hour
    2X - 30 minutes
    4X - 15 minutes
    8X - 8 minutes
    12X/16X - 6 minutes

All times are approximate :)

7. THUNDER66

THUNDER66 Member

thanks for the info,

now if im still using Ridata 4X DVD +R's does that mean that I shouldnt gain any speed? it seems like a backup of a DVD writes in about 15 minutes (compared to about an hour before on my 4X burner),thats on a 4X DVD +R. I do have some memorex 8X, but i havent opened them yet.
    In theory, i should cut my write speed from 15 minutes to 8 using these new discs(8X)?

talk about complicated!!!! LOL

8. Nephilim

Many of the new 8X burners will write 4X +R at 8X and you should see about 8 minutes for your 8X discs as well :)

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Thunder66,

When you get open your memorex, use this proggy (free)
    http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ and check your Mid code. Memorex has several different manufactures make their media (Ricohjpn - Litey's love em, Prodisc - ok, Infodisc - not so good, CMC Magnetics - Litey's hate em, garbage, bottom of the barrel, clay pigeon stand in.)

10. Marvo

Marvo Member

11. THUNDER66

THUNDER66 Member

actually, i have had good luck so far. I have never "upgraded" my comp...but did so with ease. very easy to install.
    When i first turned it on, it sounded like an F14 coming under my desk. I thought, "This i cant deal with." but it was only the first initial time. every burn so far has been quiet as a mouse. I am very happy so far with liteon, and would recommend.

Now the big question is, why not burn at 8X? most say stay at 4X. I burned twice at 8X and no problems. i havent watched the backup, so I dont know about quality yet.
    I was just wondering why people say stay at 4X.

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You need to watch your backups on your stand-alone player. Just because it said burn was successful doesn't mean it's watchable. It could still be a coaster (full of skips, pauses, or pixelations).

Most recommend you don't burn over 4x because of the increased chance of write errors. I burn all my backups at 8x, but I use good quality media and watch every backup to verify it is good.

13. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

Nephilim thanks for the link to the Lite-On tools at cdfreaks.com.

14. THUNDER66

THUNDER66 Member

Actually, i should have clarified.
    I did put the disc (8X) after the burn, and it did play, i skipped around alittle, and all worked. I just didnt play the DVD from front to back.

so i guess to get the right answer, play the entire DVD, right?

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Since you used the Ridata 4x dvd+r, and Lite-ons tend to like this media, it will probably be ok, but yes you should watch it all the way through, at least the first few backups, and whenever you change media or batches.