1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

live trouble

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by trreherd, Apr 12, 2007.

1. trreherd

trreherd Member

Ok, i just searched a few pages on this website and it looks like no-one has posted this one in a while. My xbox live is awful. It has always been awful sence the day i got it. So i can sign in fine, but when i get into a game my connection will just crap out. The only game i can play is double team(2vs.2) because theres only 4 people. If i join a game with 8 people my connection will fail. When i try to join someones party it will say 'sorry you cant join there pary now, try again later' Is this fixable or is it a local connection thing? My computer internet works fine.

2. krj15489

krj15489 Regular member

how is your connection set up? is it wireless or is it hooked into a router. i have also had problems with crappy connectio due to wireless networking in my house being very poor

3. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

Wireless or wired really shouldn't matter unless you're getting an extremely low connection ... a 10mbps network connection is still MUCH faster than the standard download speed on the internet - and worlds faster then anyone's upload speed anywhere.

The question i'd ask is if you're uploading anything - are you using any sort of bittorent, kazza, emule - any sort of file sharing software that also uploads? If so, that is what is most likely causing your connection problems.

The other side of it is that it could be your equipment ... when was the last time you updated the firmware in your router? Are you using wireless G or B? Is your equipment old or new? And finally, did you foward the necessary ports to your xbox? XBox compatible doesn't matter what so ever as long as you foward the necessary ports to your xBox ...

4. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

r u on dial up..lol rofl!!!

5. trreherd

trreherd Member

To answer krj's question Im hooked up via a eithernet cord from the xbox to a modem.
    ''The question i'd ask is if you're uploading anything ''
    Umm i dont know much about the computers in the house but i know both of them have limewire(music website)
    ''when was the last time you updated the firmware in your router?''
    I dont know what that is. But im not using a router in using a modem
    ''Are you using wireless G or B?''
    Dont know
    ''Is your equipment old or new?''
    What equiptment? the xbox? the modem? the cords?
    ''And finally, did you foward the necessary ports to your xbox?''
    I dont know what that meens either.
    No,no dialup i got hi-speed internet.
    Ok so, I dident understand half of what bryan said so could you explain what each of these things are and tell me how i can test each one? Im sorry but i realy dont know anything about computers. Ok so ill give you guys all i know about my internet set up. Ok theres a modem in the basement that projects a wireless signal to the other computers(2) On the back of the modem my eithernet is plugged in. The other two computers have wireless reicevers to pic up those interned signals, and as said before both computers have limewire.

6. krj15489

krj15489 Regular member

if those 2 computers with limewire are downloading/uploading alot it will slow the connection. when i download using my old laptop it slows down the internet all over our house. maby try turning off those 2 computers

7. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

absolutely - turn off Limewire when using live - LImewire will kill your connection. This should solve all your issues.

8. trreherd

trreherd Member

I just tried shutting down both computers, i even unpluged there internet and it dident do a thing. So what should we try next?

9. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

What is the model of your router?

You said you don't have one, but you do - if you have more than one computer on your internet connection, then there is some sort of router hooked up to yoru network. Do you have cable internet or DSL? if you have DSL the router may be integrated into your modem.

Regardless, you need to let us know what kind of setup you have (the modem/router combo model, or the router model) and then we can help you foward the necessary ports to the xBox.

Also, if you do have DSL, what connection speed did you purchase with it?

10. trreherd

trreherd Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ok so heres the goods. Its a rca modeldcw725 digital brouadband modem/router. There are 4 eithernet hookups on the back but i only use one.
    I hope my pics work cause they dident show up in the preveiw

11. krj15489

krj15489 Regular member

your pics didnt work. evey time i try pics they dont work eather. how is you internet speed on you computers? is it fast or is it slow?

12. trreherd

trreherd Member

13. trreherd

trreherd Member

I think the internet speed is fine, but i have nothing to compare it to. Im sorta impatiant and its fine for me. If i click the internet it will pop up in 7 seconds(i just counted)

14. Memnock

Memnock Active member

You could try just plugging the 360 directly into the modem to make sure it's not an issue with the internet line itself.

15. krj15489

krj15489 Regular member

that sounds like a good idea. try a different ethernet cable

16. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

You need to phone your internet provider, find out the default user name and password and then ask them to help you foward the xbox live ports to your xbox. This is not an xBox compatible setup, so I am certain the ports aren't fowarded. You need to also give your xBox a static IP before you call them so you know where to foward the ports to.

Without the necessary fowarded ports, you will for certain have problems with live. Your xBox connection is most likely being blocked by the built-in firewall, causing your problems.

17. xxteakxx

xxteakxx Regular member

Port forwarding is more directed towards your NAT. Mainly to change it from strict or moderate to good. It doesn't usually cause connection errors though, as you can connect with a strict NAT.

18. trreherd

trreherd Member

Ok we have an onomoly(spelt rite?) Tonight i had a freind over and the live worked fine, i played btb with 16 people and my connection was fine for about 4 hours, but all the sudden it stopped working. I think it was becasue my mom used the computer? could that be the reason? what could i do about it?

19. trreherd

trreherd Member

So... any ideas? Should i still try callin my internet provider?

20. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

Ok, so, here's the things you need to do:

Setup a static IP on your xBox (google for instructions)
    To know what settings to use, open "control panel", open "network connections", right click "Local Area Connection", left click "status" in the menu, click the tab "support", click the "details" button. These are your settings for the xBox - just change the last set of numbers (ex: 192.168.1.xxx - change the xxx). Make sure it isn't the same as anything else on your network.

Setup the port fowarding in your router:
    Call your ISP for the login details, and for how to do this (they provided you with the modem/router combo and should be able to support this simple request)

Foward the Following ports to the IP of your Box:
    88 (UDP), 3074 (UDP), and 3074 (TCP)

Here's a link that confirms that it WILL help:
    http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/01/02/xbox-live-connection-problems-heres-a-tip/