1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loads of newb questions. Which brand, etc.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by RandomNeb, May 9, 2007.

1. RandomNeb

RandomNeb Member

Ok, Im just going to list some question, hopefully in a logical order because I have not used my DVD burner in many years. What I am trying to do is make a slideshow for a friend of mine graduating.

1. Which media to use? Buying from Best Buy, and I have the ability to use Lightscribe. The only Lightscribe I can buy is Memorex (which I never saw recommended on the FAQ). They do have Verbetim, but only in the 30 pack. Memorex is in 20, and for only needing 2-3 DVDs, its the only logical choice if Im doing Lightscribe. Just wondering if Memorex is reliable enough.
    2. If I don't take Lightscribe, from Best Buy, what should I get. I saw Verbetim, Memorex, and Sony. Can someone recommend the best, and DVD+R or DVD-R (even though I heard it doesn't really matter + or -)

Second part deals with slideshow.
    3. Is there a way to put a flash file on a DVD and have it play. Basically, my internet provider provides a Slideshow program, but no way to burn it to DVD, only CD. It lets me save it as a flash, so I'd like to put that on a DVD.
    4. Is there any good free slideshow programs? I can't seem to find any.
    5. I used Nero 6 for my last slideshow many years ago, and used a CD key that worked then. This key no longer works, is there a way to fix this?

Also, if anyone has a copy of Nero PhotoShow Deluxe for sale, it is the program I am really looking for.

Thanks for all the help, you guys here helped me a ton when I first started out.

AOL instant messenger: MBBennett24

If have have time to contact on AOL that should be cool, or if you have a key for sale.

Thanks.

Doh, forgot another question I had:
    6. What is going to be coming out as the best quality, jpeg or bmp. I am running both at 300 dpi from my scanner. The bitmap images are much bigger on my screen, and take up 5-6 MB a piece. The jpegs take up like 75k. Im guessing the bmp's are going to look alot better on screen because of the increased size?

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

First,edit out your email. Against the rules and an open invitation to spammers. Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are considered to be the best followed by any Made in Japan; steer clear of Memorex, good guide here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm 4x or 1/2 the rated speed of the media is also a good rule to go by. Go with the Verbatim Lightscribe discs and DVD+R; I think more players recognize them and they can be booktyped but it shouldn't matter. Not sure on the players recognizing it better,though. I know I've always used +R in many players and they weren't booktyped. Can't help with the rest but if that is a legit key, contact Ahead.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  3. RandomNeb

RandomNeb Member

Thanks. Since I could only find Verbetim in 30 pack Lightscribe, I guess Ill pick up just their normal DVD+R.

Thanks for help, and is Ahead someone on these boards?

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

No, Ahead is Nero, I think it's Ahead Nero and Ahead developed it.

5. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

"6. What is going to be coming out as the best quality, jpeg or bmp. I am running both at 300 dpi from my scanner."

Bmp images are generally uncompressed image files. It's a "lossless" format, no image data is lost when the file is saved. That's why they're so large. Jpg's are compressed, "lossy" image files, data is lost during the save, resulting in the smaller file size. An image saved as a .bmp would be higher quality than it's .jpg equivalent.

But from a practical point of view, it really depends upon what you want to do with the image. If it's a very important image that you want to save forever, at optimal resolution, then save it as a .bmp. If it's an image you want to upload to the web, or just keep around on your PC, then save it as a .jpg.

Even saying that, most images saved as .jpg's with high quality compression will be virtually indistinguishable to the naked eye from the same image saved as a bitmap. The .bmp will edge out the .jpg in quality, but not enough for most people to notice.

For everyday use save your scans as .jpg's. If it's something you want to keep forever then save it as a .bmp file.

6. RandomNeb

RandomNeb Member

Thanks for the reply. The pictures will be placed on a DVD slideshow, so I guess Ill just go with the bmp.

If anyone has any recommendations on a free slideshow programs, or a free program that will let me burn a flash movie to DVD, I think thats the only thing Im missing =)

Thanks again.

7. RandomNeb

RandomNeb Member

UP, still looking for a slideshow program. I will buy a photoshow deluxe from someone if I need to.