1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local Disc D drive filling up ??

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by MazdaMPS, May 17, 2012.

1. MazdaMPS

MazdaMPS Regular member

Hi all,
    Can anyone please advise me on this issue,my backup drive/recovery, (D)drive on my Dell XPS is starting to fill up,what are my best options for this situation,I take it that I cannot delete any of these files in case I need them in future,so again what are my options.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Contact dell find out if recovery partition has any extra files added thru some background update or see if dell has a forum,however i suspect it's because either microsoft is using it as storage for the odd update(happens to me when using windows update a stack of files usually .NET get placed in another partition),or you have a download going there best start by opening D & see what's there

3. MazdaMPS

MazdaMPS Regular member

Thanks for your prompt reply.
    The following files are in D Drive.
    xxxxx-PC
    Emergency
    WindowsImageBackup
    Emergency backup
    MediaID VLC MEDIA BIN

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Properties of each folder or single image file will show creation date the oldest date shown will no doubt be the original recovery files,the rest more than likely created by some other program.

WindowsImageBackup = check to see if you've setup windows to do automated backups find out in it's settings where those backups are going,if they're going to D you need to set them to go elsewhere,preferably an external,better still turn it off & transfer already created images to an external & then start using easeus todo instead (it's free works well)

Ignore the VLC file don't delete it,all that's happened there is vlc looks like it has associated itself with .bin files

WARNING//.//
    DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING UNLESS YOUR SURE BETTER STILL CREATE A BACKUP IMAGE OF D WITH EASEUS,PLACE IT ON AN EXTERNAL BEFORE MODIFYING ANYTHING ON D

you really should post in the dell help forum to find out exactly what's supposed be there in D before deleting anything however if windows is setup to backup to D it'd be fine to delete,however see WARNING before proceeding to do so

5. MazdaMPS

MazdaMPS Regular member

Thanks for you advice,I will try the Dell forum and see how I get on,Thanks again

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is the size of your d:drive & what is free? what is the size of each of those files & what windows are you using?

7. MazdaMPS

MazdaMPS Regular member

Drive size 500 GB
    257GB Free
    xxxxx-PC 83GB
    Emergency 385KB
    WindowsImageBackup 64GB
    Emergency backup 436 BYTES
    MediaID VLC MEDIA BIN 883 BYTES
    Running Windows 7/64 Home premium.

Thanks

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

2 physical hard drives or a terrabyte drive partitioned in 2? do a properties on each file to see which is oldest file & newest file. oldest file should have same date or earlier then your windows on c:\drive.