1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locationfree on PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by sjporzio, Nov 4, 2007.

1. sjporzio

sjporzio Member

Does anyone know if playstation3 can serve as a locationfree device for the psp? If not now, is this planned for the future?

2. gkmpb4

gkmpb4 Regular member

Ive seen it done on the PSp where A friend of mine was watching Cable tv on his PSP using location free. Im a technical person myself but not sure how he did it. He just got a PS3 not too long ago so Im gonna see if he figured it out. Im pretty sure you have to do some type of search with media sever on the PS3. But that it just a guess. I will get back to you if I find out how.............

3. sjporzio

sjporzio Member

That would be awesome, any info would be great. Thanks.

4. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

Yeah, that would be cool.

5. eternalis

eternalis Regular member

It's quite simple, here's how you do it:
    1. You need Nero 7 or later and a PS3 with firmware 1.80 or later and a PSP that supports remote play.
    2. Turn your PS3 on and login. Then start "Nero StartSmart" on your PC, and click on "Nero MediaHome" under the applications tab on the left-hand toolbar
    3. In MediaHome, click on the TV icon in the toolbar and click on "Enable TV streaming"
    4. Click on the "Devices" icon in the toolbar and select the UPnP/1.0 line and check the "Allow access" checkbox
    5. Now click on the "Start Server" button and after a little while you should be able to access TV on your PS3
    6. Now just connect your PSP using remoteplay as normal and you can watch TV :D

(Sorry for the lack in detail, I don't have my PS3 with me atm)

Note: This is not actually LocationFree, its just Media Streaming.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  6. gkmpb4

gkmpb4 Regular member

Yeah buts thats a good idea too. I will actually try that.. DO you know if it works with TVersity or MP11? I have those two and have only been able to get music,pics and some file types of video to stream. havent really sat down and focused on making it work.. All I need is location free. If Im not mistaken I beleive location free has some type of website. You can also go on this site with the psp when connected to any network and go to your so call location free site and you can basically watch TV on your PSP through location free's online site. I havent really done it myself but my friend that I mentioned above showed me that it worked and Ive seen it done. THe PSP actually shows a really good picture. Im getting a PSP for my 6yr old for christmas and Im trying to hint to someone that I want one too. I Let idiots break my last psp.........

7. eternalis

eternalis Regular member

If setup properly, TVersity should be able to stream all types of video (as it converts to a format that the PS3 supports real-time), but I'm not sure if it can stream live video from a TV card.

LocationFree doesn't use a website, you have to buy a LocationFree base station which you connect to your router and your TV/other Av device to stream stuff to your PSP over the internet. IMO, if you have a PS3 and a decent computer, its not worth it to buy a base-station (which is overpriced).