1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic Pro 7

Discussion in 'Audio' started by venomX05, Mar 10, 2005.

1. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey peeps,

I recently "acquired" Logic Pro 7 for the MAC.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used this before? It is like a $1000 dollar program, and don't know what type of people use it, i.e. musicians or what

Can someone shed some light as to how this program is different from alot of other audio and music programs?

Thanks.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

its not a $1000 program, you can get student versions for $100. the main difference from other audio programs out there is its made by apple and not an actual audio company. I teach Pro Tools, and constantly have students ask why we don't use logic or cubase or reason instead of Pro Tools. Simple, cause Pro Tools is the best, plain and simple. Cubase is decent, but I suppose for basic audio needs logic would work fine. I honestly don't know any musicians, or anyone period for that matter that uses logic. I guess if you got it free than its a good deal for you, but if you plan on making money with it, buy the program! Even if it is apple.

3. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey,

Thanks for the reply djskoop.

However, the program is $1000, but retail, that is kinda what I was saying. I am sure that you can get a student version, but I am not a student, and I just went ahead and did a search in GOOGLE, it is actually based off of Apple's website.

Well, about using the program, I will be honest, I wouldn't know where to begin using Logic Pro, for I am not in any type of music business. But it would be cool to learn.

Also, you said you teach Pro Tools....do you teach in the use of the program in everyday use, or is it a more specialized class for like music majors and stuff.

Thanks for your input!

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

there are dozens of tutorials out there for all types of programs, I'm sure if you do a google search you can find some help. I've played with Logic a little bit, but never got into it or learned it very well in depth. I've been using Pro Tools for about 6 years now. Its definately not your every-day use program. For starters, unlike other audio programs, Pro Tools only works with its own hardware. So you must buy an MBOX, or 002, or other interface which usually comes with Pro Tools 6. You can get an MBOX (USB 1.1 powered 2 channel in/out 48k with SPDIF) and Pro Tools 6.4 for under $500. Beleive me, for what it can do, its a steal. The reason why its so cheap is because the audio plugins are so expensive. WAVES plugins run anywhere from $2000 up to $15000.

Pro Tools has long been the industry standard for the music industry in recording studios, as well as tv and film for post audio production. If you've heard of Avid, thats what the industry uses to edit video on. Systems like Media Composers, Symphonys, etc. Those are about $100,000 systems. Digidesign, which makes Pro Tools, is a subsidary company of Avid. So Pro Tools is made by the leading company for editing/recording for all entertainment industries. Most editors compose their film in and Avid and then export the audio into Pro Tools for adding ADR (voice overs), foley sound effects, audio manipulation, music tracks, as well as surround sound mixing.

So pro tools is definately not for everyday audio editing/recording on computers. I don't think Logic would be that hard to learn, and it probably works well. But other programs like Adobe Audition and Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge and apple's Garage Band are great for basic everyday recording/editing.

So if you ever want to get into professional audio editing, give Pro Tools a look. www.digidesign.com, and like I said to a google search for Logic, as there are tons of audio websites out there that provide help and support for using applications. good luck