1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking after Discs

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by yoclick, Jan 27, 2007.

1. yoclick

yoclick Member

Hi,
    Im really looking for a bit of help on looking after my discs. I believe im currently taking very good consious care; holding by sticking a finger in the bottom, never touching bottom surface or placing disc on desk etc, only moving disc from case to console, using a lint-free material to clean bottom with strokes from the inside of the disc to the out etc. However they always seem to develop tiny sratches? I even backed up one game disc and within an hour or so it had developed some. They are kept in a padded Disc wallet, no disc cases, does that make a difference? Im just really looking for some help on how to improve or where im going wrong on maintaining discs!.

Thanks

2. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

If you don't touch it and see no fingerprints, don't wipe it off with your lint-free cloth. Some of those cloths can cause tiny scratches on the disc.
    The padded disc wallet seems to me to be the problem as well. I keep all my backups in DVD Cases and none of them have any scratches. Hope this helps.

3. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

i use the little cases that my dvds come in, the jewel cases and i dont have a single scratch on any game...

4. yoclick

yoclick Member

I must be slightly scratching on zip of disc wallet when putting them in then OR the pockets might be slightly dirty?? The next burn il put into a disc case. Hope that improves the situation!

5. aszbaz

aszbaz Guest

Hehehe... sticking a finger in the bottom.... anyway, i think its when you slide it into the wallet. that happened on my old wallet. as your sliding it in, it scrapes across the front. the only way to stop this is to get a different wallet. the best ones are the ones built into the cd carrying cases as they are thinner, and dont have the edge that scratches.

6. K4kashi

K4kashi Regular member

I find that those disc wallets always cause tiny scratches from sliding the disc in/out. Just use DVD cases.

7. aszbaz

aszbaz Guest

or, better yet, get those cd pouches. ya know, those plastic ones that the guys who sell pirate dvd's on the road keep the disks in.

8. Boston84

Boston84 Member

submerge them in a tub of ice water. Then put them in the oven on 375 for exactly 48 minutes, then a unscratchable layer of disc protectant will appear thus making it an unscratchable disc.

9. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Yeah, get proper cases. CD wallets and the like will develop scratches while sliding them out of the case; and, don't go for those white paper slips that people sell pirated games in: they're even worse for scratching, unless you buy the expensive ones.

10. aszbaz

aszbaz Guest

no, if you but the REALY cheap ones, they are as thin as a carrier bag, and dont scratch. trust me, i know. my uncle went to india a couple months back, and he got some backup games, and they had cheap plastic wallets, they wer so thin, i still have not got any scratches on the disks. oh, and dont put them in icy water/the oven. the guy who left thay comment is obviously a d*ckhead. the disk would melt.

11. Boston84

Boston84 Member

im not a dickhead, it was a joke and i dont think anyone is really that stupid that they would actually try it. Youre probably upset because you did try putting it in the oven and ruined your disc.

12. andyford

andyford Guest

Get a good CD case for storage and a CD carrying case for transport. Make sure though that they are of high-quality. Cheap ones tend to make the problem worse.

13. aszbaz

aszbaz Guest

Oh, right then. sorry about that, boston84. i hear a lot of comments like that on the forums, and people do actually try that kind of stuff and end up destroying stuff. oh, and i did'nt do it, just to let you know. i use DVD cases.

14. aszbaz

aszbaz Guest

oh, and i reccomend dvd cases/cd cases (not wallets). and i when you want to take a disk out and put it down, make sure you put the side that is meant to be read facing upwards. and if you want to transport the disks without the dvd/cd cases, then i would just put them in a bit of cling film.