1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at a Sony Burner

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by djlen, Feb 12, 2005.

1. djlen

djlen Regular member

Ok, I've done my homework on the software end of this DVD burning business.
    Now I'm ready to make a decision on a burner. I'm looking at a Sony model# DRU 710A which is an internal double layer unit.
    Two questions: How important is it to buy a double layer machine(what are the upsides)?
    Is anyone familiar with this particular model and if so can you give me some feedback on it?
    There is also a Plextor (PX716A) double layer burner on the same site, for the same price. I have heard that Plextor makes a great machine.
    I'm not even sure I need the double layer. I will be copying movies.
    Feedback?

Len

2. Bigfatboy

Bigfatboy Regular member

I have the sony 710a and does a great job. My friend has the plextor and is happy with it. I have no complaints with the sony. i don't think you go wrong with either. You might want a dual layer drive because some movies you may not want to compress to fit on single layer. Someday the dual layer discs will come down in price.

peace

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  3. KCman

KCman Guest

Well, you can read my other thread about the problem I am having with it. The read speeds are unbearably slow.

However I think this problem is an issue with my drive. From what I have read on reviews and other people on here, they have alot of success with it.

It is an awesome burner, I can burn a full single layer disk 8X in about 7-8 minutes. Mine just reads slow....

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

sony or plextor? same price?

No doubt,plextor. Neph would agree.

BTW,if you live in USA, staples has the sony 16x dvd burner for around $89.00 after rebate.Today is the last day. I don't know how much you were spending. Good Luck on whichever one you choose.

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

DRU 710A Taken from CDRinfo.com

The Good

Front bezel can be changed with the included black colored
    Can backup up to SafeDisc2 v2.8x protected discs
    Good DVD error correction
    Good CD writing quality with specific media
    Can overburn up to 99mins
    High C2% pointers accuracy
    Supports protected Audio discs (CDS200, Key2Audio)
    Supports BookType BitSetting for DVD+R/+RW/+DL formats
    Can be used for CD/DVD media error measurements
    Big unofficial community support (KProbe, Media Speed hacks, RPC1 utilities)
    - The Bad

Retail Price is high
    Poor CD error correction ability
    DVD writing quality with many media needs serious improvement
    Doesn't accurately backup SafeDisc2 v2.9x+ protected discs
    Doesn't support reading of DVD-RAM media
    Retail package doesn't include DVD+R DL media
    Doesn't support DVD±R overburning
    Competition offers 16X DVD-R and 4X DL writing
    - Like to be fixed

Inconvenient changing from 40X to 48X reading/writing
    DVD writing quality with many media needs serious improvement

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Plextor would be my choice of the 2. Newegg is selling the 716SA for about $120. Note the DL writing speeds, 4X for Plextor and 2.4X for Sony. Significant time difference at these lower speeds. If the DL ever comes down in price, it'll be nice to own a DL burner. Since they burn both the DVD5 and DVDR9, it sort of makes sense to buy an item capable of using the newer tech. As far as the higher speeds for DVD5, 4X is suggested for good video burns. It can be done faster, but the occurrence of errors increase with the higher speeds. I've seen people use a 3 hr encoder app and blow the recording with a fast burn to save just a few minutes.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2005
  7. djlen

djlen Regular member

Well, the overwhelming choice seems to be the Plextor.
    I was leaning in that direction anyway, but unless someone comes up with a different opinion, I'll looking seriously at that one.
    saugmon - I have a gift certificate at Best Buy and will probably go there, even though it's a bit more money than the $89 at Staples. Couldn't have made it over there today anyway, and the Plextor seems to be the better choice.
    I think brobear's writing speeds clinched it for me. As a newbie, I probably would have looked right past that one.
    Nobody hit too much on the necessity for the Double Layer burner and the whys.
    Anything on that before I lay out the bread?

Len

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

With it you can...

Without it you can't...

Remember how much just a DVD-R 4X cost a year ago. What will be the price of DL in a few months? Prices are always coming down.

Better to have then to have not! <G>

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You made a wise choice.Dual-format/Dual-layer and a high quality burner.Just feed is some high quality media,those stand alone players will appreciate it.

Like brobear stated, when the price of those dual layer media comes down, it would be very handy having that dual layer option.My buddy uses the dual layer for large ps2 games that he backs up.Us poor folk will have to wait a little longer for that price to come down,lol

Good Luck and do your homework for that high quality media you will be feeding that beast,later

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Maybe I shouldn't have buried that in the middle of the text or I should have put it in bold print. Newer tech DL is nice to have as it will use both DVD5 and R9 and nice to have if the DL media prices come down and nice to have if one currently needs or wants to spend the money for some of the high priced media. Regular DVD5 burners only have the option for DVD5. So, the advantage of DL is just that, it can do it and there is a lot more space on an 8.5GB disc than a 4.7GB one. Size is the name of the game. Thought that was evident without doing the expanded version.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2005