1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a DVD/DivX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by hotts, Dec 24, 2005.

1. hotts

hotts Member

Been reading up on the forums and i am thinking that the Pioneer DV575 or 585 would be a good choice to pick up. A couple questions though... I can only seem to find either of these on sites in Europe. I'm in Texas.. if I buy a dvd player from europe will it play my american DVD's?

Does anyone have suggestions to maybe a different divx/dvd player? or anyone able to answer my questions and help me out so I can purchase one of these pioneer's!

Thanks and Merry Christmas everyone

2. WesleyHes

WesleyHes Member

Here in the US, the DV-588A-S is the model to look for. European models would be Region 2 not 1 (USA/Canada).

The 588A not only has DivX support but DVD-Audio/SACD along with WMA, etc.

3. gear79

gear79 Guest

you must have not read my stickey, did you !! ??
    it's at the [bold]VERY[/bold] top of this forum !!!!!

where at?

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Click For Description
    Toshiba - SD4980
    Featured Price: $ 99.00 Add to cart
    Toshiba HDMI Progressive Scan DVD Player - SD4980/ HDMI Upconversion/ DIVx Home Theater Certified/ WMA & MP3 Playback/ JPEG Viewer/ Remote Control/ Silver Finish
    In Stock / Free Shipping

Click For Description Toshiba - SD6980
    Toshiba Silver DVD Audio & Video Player With HDMI Plus SACD Playback- SD6980/ 5.1 Channel Output With Bass Management/ Onboard Dolby Digital Decoding/ 24-Bit/192kHz Audio D/A Converter/ DiVx Home Theater Certified/ Media Card Reader/ Silver Finish

http://www.abtelectronics.com/scripts/site/site_category.php3?id=6

5. hotts

hotts Member

Conroe, north of H town. You?

Been looking at a LG player too... seems like every player I start thinking about there's always good reviews then there is ones that are really bad and make me not want it anymore.

Anyone have some ideas?

6. gear79

gear79 Guest

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello gear79..Have U got an answer for me ? My printed TY's & Ritek would slip on loading & ejecting.Mind U not Dedicated or Standard stamped,just the printed ones did this with 2 seperate units

8. gear79

gear79 Guest

i have no problems with my printed media, i too use ritek, and verb, it dont make a difference what media it is.
    are you saying you disk will slip in a slot loaded player?

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

YES gear79..LG LDA-511->Just like on ice,gets about half way in,then I would have to give it a nudge,same with coming out get about half way then I 'D have to pull on them.That was'nt to bad I figured I had to get up & replace the DVD anyway.But then it would'nt eject,just that humming noise U hear when the rollers are working.Well that sacred me,& I had a helluva time getting them out.Happened twice,so I took the unit back.But whats really funny is I seem to be the only one to have this type of problem.Mind U now this was the same problem on 2 diff. units,frm Circuit City

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2005
  10. gear79

gear79 Guest

now that you mention it, it did happen to me a few times, but all i did was tap it and it comes right out.
    i dont see it to be a big issue, however, i would give them a call to see if its a known issue yet.

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello gear79..I did call they had no explanation..its really ashame cause i really liked the unit..but saelavee..i was just not happy about the way i had to get the DVD's out..tried takeing the unit apart but U can't get at it simply..there are covers on covers on the inside.so i ended up turning the unit on & turning it upright & tapping it
    Well its all water under the bridge now..maybe I just used it to much..I'm a DVD nut,I don't like commercials so i D/L all my favorite shows & burn..so this means my DVD player is going constantly as many as 10 to 12 DVD's daily..don't know if U could call this abuse or just getting my monies worth.Oh yea about 3 DVD Movies everyday if not sometimes more.As I'm retired & live on a pension,quite the couch potatoe

12. gear79

gear79 Guest

yeah, that was my only REAL concern, a slot loading system. even my old alpine cd player in my car from time to time gets stuck. mine is out of the 30 day return from best buy, but still has the 1 year warranty. nest time it acts up, i will call them on it. has not done it as of late, i'd say total times it acted up on me, 4 x. but at least it dont have the lip sync problems as my last LG LDVB-418.

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well now gear79..U R opening a whole new can of worms for me on this lip sync problems..does this occur on many units..I've noticed a few people here with the Philips units having this problem[hit fstfrwd,pause hit the 1 three times etc]ALL KINDS OF CRAP 2 TRY..I always thought it was the Video that was at falt
    that is another reason,when I buy local over 100bucks,I get the extended warranty,& make sure that it includes,after 3 returns or how ever its worded.That it will be replaced with a diff unit of the same value by a diff mfg if they no longer carry that item
    So U have had some slippage with your unit

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2005
  14. marik1234

marik1234 Regular member

Toshiba SD-4980.

15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello marik1234..U meen U got the same problems with this unit or are U recomending this unit ?

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

17. marik1234

marik1234 Regular member

Yea, I was reccomending it, I was looking over DivX players and this looked like a really good one.

Actually...scratch that...it only supports NTSC. I might still get it, and if not, the LG one.

18. gear79

gear79 Guest

@ rick... the prior problems were with an LG unit, but the LDVB 418. they (LG) sent me firmware disks, but made it worse, thats why i got the 511 instead and paid the difference. but mine has been good to me, thats the only issue i have, is the once in a blue moon, the disk will get stuck for a second. but i alway eject from the unit, never the remote, so if it does stick, i am right there to pull it out.

19. gear79

gear79 Guest

but that one you listed does not give a detailed description of formats it plays.
    i know the LG plays all listed and more, divx, xvid, .mpeg1-7, .jpeg, data, .oss, .nrg, .wmv, .wma, and more. i have tried multiple formats, i am impressed.

20. marik1234

marik1234 Regular member

Yea, thats why I dont want to get it, I ONLY burn and buy +R discs...and it doesnt support DVD-Audio and SACD...