1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a good Home Theater System

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by TheH, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Riku65

Riku65 Member

My point about speakers is what's the point in buying really good speakers (which Gale are not) like Acoustic Enery Aegis evo 3B and an awful amp?

YES Gale are good for £300 but not the best so apologies for that. As for me knowing more than What HiFi well I only use them as reference that is to say I trust my own ears not their's! In a nutshell if I personally like the sound I'll buy it... and that should be the rule of thumb use them as reference a source of what to audition.

My set-up is Pioneer DV565, Pioneer VSXD912, Wharfdale diamond 8.2's What HiFi 5*, Wharfdale Powercube 12" sub, Canon SC10 Centre, and NAD rears I upgraded DVD from DV444 to DV565. Upgraded from a Marantz SR4200 to Pioneer VSXD912. I have a Samsung Plano 28" TV (Would like a Plasma but Mrs won't give a yes on that one as £2700 bit much? na) so I haven't anything really expensive either but the sound is incredible and a lot better with the upgrades and that's the fun thing for me is enjoying the films and sound. It's what I can afford.

Sounds as though you have a nice set-up also? perhaps we should post some pictures?

regards

Riku65

2. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

Riku65, that's a great idea bout a posting pictures of your hifi setup!

maybe someone can start a thread for a home theater gallery?

and if we're lucky maybe we can upload to an aD server?
    maybe?

lol

Cheers.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Well, of course we can have a thread - down in the Home Cinema section - but im not sure about uploading to AD. You can email me ur photos though and ill post them

4. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

Well of course in the Home theater section, probably the amps and recievers forum?

We should really get a Mod to move this thread there, our poor amp forum is dieing and this needs to be there!

and thanks for the offer, Oriphus, will defintely ask you if I need to.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AKA: TRHR (The Red Headed Ranger).
    [​IMG]
    Come say hello and join the Afterdawn IRC Channel
    server: irc.addictz.net
    Channel: #ad_buddies[/small]

Last edited: May 6, 2004
  5. Riku65

Riku65 Member

I guess it could be considered as slightly sad to be posting pictures of home cinema set-ups, but seems there's a wealth of free info on home cinema gear here so a page would be a great idea and would help other members a great deal. Honest actual users opinions always count high in my book.

regards

Riku

6. DemonDog

DemonDog Regular member

7. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I can HIGHLY recommend the Cambridge Audio Azur 540R.
    It does everything.
    Dolby Digital
    Dolby ProLogic
    DTS
    EX versions of both DD & DTS (adds a centre Surround option)
    6 analogue inputs for SACD/DVD-A
    Full digita in/out multiple versions so you can also use it as a video hub, Progressive scan interface for plasmas & LCD, to my mind an absolutely superb AV Reciever/Amp.

Not too dear either, so leaves enough money to get the Mission Audio or Acoustic Research speakers.....

8. Riku65

Riku65 Member

Regarding budgets and speakers - watched a recent programme and they said, as I said yet I stooped and went with the majority.

This is what they said:-

Basically your budget should be spent mainly on the source, then the amp and lastly the speakers not the majority on speakers. Its the source that will reproduce the sound the amp that will convert this sound and the speakers will be the last outlet so if your source is good, amplification is good then not so good speakers will sound good.

This was a programme which auditioned a £100,000 LINN system!

Riku