1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a new computer

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by bill2468, Aug 13, 2004.

1. bill2468

bill2468 Guest

Hello!
    New to this forum. Just bought a new digital video camera (Canon zr85)and now I am looking for a new desktop computer. Currently have a Dell P3 @450 with 160 memory and 1.75 gig of free space on HD and running windows 98. Any recomendations? I have been considering a Sony (RS410) or a HP Pavillion (a620n).
    Is there any reason that I have not seen any recomendation of using a gaming machine for video editing?

Thanks,

BiLL

2. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

Well you don't need the expensive video card but everything else would be good.

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I was getting tired of my old Sony locking up so I got the one listed in my signature. I looked at Sonys, Dells, etc but ended up at Puget Custom computers. There prices were in line with everyone elses. The very best customer service as well. I had my computer in 7 days. I am local though. They worked with me in getting just what I wanted, set up for video editing.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/

If you plan on running applications like Premiere Pro or Vegas then you will need at least a 3.0 P4 and a gig of RAM. I would consider that a mainstream desktop nowdays. You can run other less intensive programs on lesser machines.

As bluebus said, you don't need the latest and greatest video card. I'm running a Radeon 9600 which is working out just fine.

4. bill2468

bill2468 Guest

Looked at puget site and find them very over priced. The HP and Sony are under $800.00 each. Sony has P4 @ 2.8 gig 120gig hd dvd/re/cdrw combo 56k modem net work card windows xp home (this is a refurb)
    HP is new amd athalonxp3200+ 512 memory dvd/cd combo/rw 160 hard drive 2/fire wire ports 7 usb 2.0 ports 9in one media reader 10/100 interface v.92 modem
    under $800.00 plus $50.00 rebate from HP

Thanks

BiLL