1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a Sortware...

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by mike1990, Jan 15, 2007.

1. mike1990

mike1990 Member

Hi, I'm looking for a software so that i can open up .jpg. I have windows 98 and every time i try to open up a jpg format picture my computer screen turns blue and i have to restart. I think it is because i don't have a program to open it with. And on this computer it didn't come with the "Windows Picture Viewer and Fax" thing?

2. jozza321

jozza321 Regular member

Why dont u jus update your whole computer?? why do u still have a windows 98?

Jozza321

3. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

load nero that will do the trick

4. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

QuickTime has a picture viewer function. A free download.

I use PhotoImpact 4.2 quite a bit. It's old, but I am used to it. Finding an old version of software that is compatible with Win 98 should be fairly cheap and easy on eBay.

5. Hawkeye1

Hawkeye1 Member

Irfanview is probably one of the most popular viewers around and has been for years and with it's continued development and plugin additions, it only gets better over the years. The latest version is Version 3.99 (release date: 2006-11-16)and can be found here:

Irfanview

Its fully compatible with Win 95, 98, 98SE, ME and of course XP.

Good Luck

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@Mike1990..... I fear that if your computer is getting the big bad BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH it's more than a software problem! Next time you get a BLUE SCREEN read the error message why Windows is shutting down. Not having a program to open up some pictures would never cause your computer to crash and the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH would not come on. Read what the Screen says and try to fix the problem.... google it! You'll be surprised what you will find when you google!

7. Hawkeye1

Hawkeye1 Member

One other option for use of software you DO already have to view your jpegs is to use your browser. Personally, I use Maxthon, but most any browser should open your picts...including IE which I did test here. IE opened the jpeg with the picture within the browser frame...whereas Maxthon opened it original size which didnt fit within the frame, so some browser options may need to be explored depending on what you use. Of course..using a browser offers viewing the jpegs only and doesnt allow for any resizing etc that you may wish to do.

Again..good luck...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  8. geetus

geetus Member

Good software for opening .jpg's = Windows XP

Seriously. Upgrade the OS.

But if that's really not an option, Nero has a pic viewer, like MichaelP1 said.

Also, by default in Win98, I think pics open up with Internet Explorer. You might consider installing FireFox as your browser, and make jpg's open up in firefox instead of IE.

Seriously, though - I'd recommend upgrading to XP, or at least win 2000. Especially if you're getting bluescreens.

For now, though, to try to fix your bluescreen problem, you could try this:

1. Restart comp in DOS mode
    2. At the command prompt, type "scanreg /fix" (without the quotes) & hit enter
    3. Follow instructions if it gives you any (been a while since I've worked on 98)
    4. If it completes successfully, type in "win" (no quotes) and hit enter & that'll restart your computer & take you back to windows

If that doesn't work, there's no harm done.

Blue screens are indicative of a pretty bad problem - usually a registry error. Like IHoe said, it's not just because you lack a program capable of opening jpg's.

9. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

I found that Win 98 was very corruptable before I switched to XP. Usually when I got a BSOD, it meant it was time to reinstall Win 98.

I got out my CD and Start disk. Put in both and restarted the machine. It would boot from the disk. Then followed the onscreeen instructions to reinstall right over the old version. Did NOT lose any of my data this way. Did NOT reformat or completely erase the old stuff. Did this several times before switching OS (on a new machine).

Did have a few things to reset. Like: DirectX updates, Microsoft website updates (still available?), and a few minor things I can't remember right now. Nothing real hard.

It did work easy and my wife still uses it as her machine. Have not had to reinstall for a couple of years now. Go figure. Anyway, something to consider as my BSOD did go away after the reinstall(s).

10. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

reinstalling your Windows right on top of what you already have is like putting a band aide on a wound! Your wife probably doesn't use the computer as you did, therefore its lasting. I can guarantee if you had problems before with the BSOD and your did a reinstall on top of what you have already.... you'll eventually have to do it all over again! Live and learn!

11. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

True, I did a reinstall several times. But, it has held up well for my wife for several years now. True, she does not play games as I did. Her machine is a 450mhz setup. Mine (now) is a 3.0ghz gaming setup.

Might be a bandaid, but it did work and the price was right - FREE.

12. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

right....... I used to have the same thing with my old computer and Windows ME. the band aide got worn and broke off...... many times! LOL