1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for an AUTOCAD machine

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by jigdish, Jul 13, 2013.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  2. jigdish

jigdish Member

If I get that motherboard (from ebay)the same as I have now. How hard will it be for me to get it all working? Is it as simple as replacing the boards and plugging everything in and then firing it up?

3. ddp

yes being identical you don't even have to reload windows except maybe to re-activate it with ms but not certain on that.

4. jigdish

jigdish Member

I bought this video card:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NVIDIA-...218720725742&skuId=6208848#tab=specifications

It's much longer than my current video card and it covers the sockets for the Hard drives and the DVD ROM's. Shown in the below picture. Can I do anything about this (ie different cables with a smaller plug or 90 degree plugs) or do I need to return the Video card and get one smaller. I have read a 2GB Video card will help run autocad smoothly.

[​IMG]

I'm open to most any Video card but have read that NVIDA work well with Autocad. so I would like to stay with that interface.

any thoughts?

5. ddp

the length is not the problem as it is the width of the card is the problem. look at the silver thing just above those connectors you circled. do you have the card right now because if you do then try it in it's slot to see if any issues?

6. jigdish

jigdish Member

I already have and the width is just fine. But it is too long and will only allow me to plug into the black and orange plug. I only need to use 3 of them one for each HD and one for one of the ROM's.

Does it matter what drive gets plugged into what color plug? is there a sequence to them? ie black is for the Boot drive, and so on.

7. ddp

can get sata cables with 90 degree connectors on them as i have some on my computers.

8. jigdish

jigdish Member

Does it matter what gets plugged where?

9. ddp

not really but i prefer the 1st sata port whether 0 or 1 as the boot port for c:drive.