1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for best advice on software

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jermda1va, Feb 7, 2007.

1. jermda1va

jermda1va Member

Hey guys, im a newbie, i come on here for tips here and there but have found myself coming here more often now that all my dvds im backing up wont let me. I usually use dvd shrink and anydvd. It says "cannot read H:/ drive" which is the drive of my burner im using.

My question is, what programs would you suggest i get, freeware or even if i have to buy it?

Thanks in advance,
    Jerm

2. cartjunky

cartjunky Member

Assuming your using Windows, why don't you just change the drive letter?

3. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

assuming you have already paid$$ for AnyDvd, CloneDvD2 from the
    same people(SLYSOFT) is the best software on the market
    hands down right now.(my Opinion) the $$ for CloneDvD2 from
    SlySoft is you best bet hands down.

if you have the AnyDvD/CloneDvD2 you shouldn't have any problem
    with the new movie's if you do they usally have it fixed within
    2 3 days anyway.

DvDShrink still works for me along with AnyDvD, it hasn't been
    updated and will not be.

myself have tried all the freebie stuff didn't care much for it
    was two complicated aswell to me.

i still have all the software, but 99.9% of the time all i ever
    use is the AnyDvD/CloneDvD2 combo, have had maybe 1 problem in
    the past with them.

this is all a matter of opinion/just cut to the chase and buy
    AnyDvD/CloneDvd2 combo you won't regret it.

proud owner of all the programs in my SIG............

gday

4. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Well, to be honest with you, all I'm using are FREE tools and I have never encountered any DVD/movie that it can not be ripped or backed up whatsoever.

Tools I used and recommend:

DVDFab Decrypter
    RipIt4Me
    DVD Shrink
    DVD Decrypter
    ImgBurn
    VobBlanker
    FixVTS

Have a look at some FREE guides here http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/A_F_Guides.html (including DVDFab, RipIt4Me, DVD Shrink, ImgBurn, VobBlanker and FixVTS).

Best of luck and enjoy them FREE guides!!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  5. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

I'm with alkohol on this with the free progs. Imgburn is the best and RI4M is updated virtually every time its used lately...

6. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

I to agree with alkohol. There is no reason to pay to have backups of your DVD collection. When AnyDVD first came out, you had to pay for that program. Now you need to pay for 2 programs to get what you can already get for free. What's next? Pay for 3 programs? I don't think so.
    The author of RipIt4Me put a lot of hard work into this program and continues to make sure everybody can enjoy backups and he wants no money! You can't beat that.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I suggest the free decryption setup, RipIt4Me. You can take a look at my little tutorial, about midpage on page 16 of the Saw 3 thread. I'd suggest reading the official RI4M guide. Links to all the software needed was included in the little tutorial I wrote. I'd suggest ImgBurn to burn with if you don't already have Nero or another retail burner. Unless you know how to swap files to make ImgBurn a supported burner in Shrink, you'll need to burn to the hard drive with Shrink and then burn with ImgBurn. Works great and you can do the new releases for free. I'm with Alkohol on this one. No need to buy software unless you want the very best. I still use RI4M, but I encode with RB/CCE (the retail versions).

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hello jermda1va,

There are a lot of proggies out there that you can use to backup your DVD's and there really isn't one (IMO) that is better than the other. In other words some people like one proggie for one reason while others like another one for the same reason. Some people can and will have completly different results with the same proggies as well. So the decision on what to get is a little more difficult than you might think. However to save your money you can always try all the free stuff out there as suggested by others. I will list just a few proggies out there and what they do you can and should try them all out. I my self backup DVD's all different ways just for the heck of it I guess.

AnyDVD - Basically Cracks Encryption by tricking your drive into reading any DVD (Driver) (Updated regularly)
    CloneDVD2 - A burning, re-authoring tool. when combined with AnyDVD it works miracles. This is probably one of the easier methods out there.
    Nero - An all around good proggie to own. This program can pretty much do it all except remove encryption

Free Tools
    DVDFab Decrypter - Used to rip an original DVD to your hard drive while removing encryption (updated regularly)
    DVD Decrypter - Same as above except it will also burn an image. Draw back here is this proggie is no longer updated
    DVD Shrink - Mainly used nowdays as a reauthoring or compression tool. Can decrypt older movies by itself or newer movies with some help from other proggies like AnyDVD. This one (IMO) is a must have. (Not updated)
    RitIt4Me - One of the newer tools used to crack encryption (need to have DVDDecrypter and FixVTS) this is a very powerfull tool to have right now. (updated Often)
    VobBlanker - It is a very powerfull reauthoring tool
    ImageBurn - Burns your DVD image file (ISO) like DVDDecrypter without the decrypting ability

As you can see there are a lot out there and I just named a few, but I would suggest you try some out and find what works the best for you.

Good luck

9. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Wow, senior members and aD addicts giving advice...how cool is that?

10. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

I have all those programs with the exception of ImgBurn since I use Nero...

It's good to have more then one option to use...what's better, is that you have combination options with those programs too.

What I mean is, take DVDDecrypter for example. Yeah, bummer it's not being updated...but it still works, even with some of the newer movies - in combination with say, AnyDVD running in the background. You can rip the movie using Decrypter, then clean it up with VobBlanker and burn with Nero or ImgBurn.

You could use AnyDVD and CloneDVD to rip (burn with CloneDVD but I stick with Nero).

You could use RipIt4Me or DVDFab Decrypter, and if you're having issues again, you can clean up those files with VobBlanker or FixVTS.

Lots of ways to accomplish the same goal.

Also....make sure you're using good quality media. Verbatim is among the best...though I have not had any issues with Memorex since buying a quality LiteOn burner. The burner's also in the equation...as is your burn speeds. If you're making coffee coasters at 16x, but not 12 or 8x, back her down a bit...

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOL That's what we're here for.

BBmayo
    I've got all those programs. I've just been finding some of them don't work well with the new copy protection. Not long ago Lionsgate had everyone shook up with Saw 3. Talladega Nights was a smaller problem just before it and Saw 3 was a heaping helping of the same. They tried to confuse the software with about 100 bogus titles. AnyDVD couldn't handle it. It got updated a few times. Ripit4me was the only thing that would work. DVDIdle's DVDFab Decrypter was playing catch up for the longest. I just tried using AnyDVD and DVD Decrypter to rip Gridiron Gang. It ripped, but Shrink wouldn't analyze it. I could have processed with FixVTS and it would have probably worked. But AnyDVD on it's own isn't working with Shrink for that one. AnyDVD works best with CloneDVD 2, another Slysoft program. That's 2 retail programs for best results with Slysoft. Ripit4Me ripped, cleaned and analyzed the files in Shrink for me with 1-Click. Guess what I'm going to use for the rest of the recent releases I just purchased? I realize you know most of this, but I'm mostly adding it for the newbies to save them a bit of time wading through the software. As of today, the freeware is beating the retail software for bypassing the new copy protections.

As for the burners, with a little file swapping, ImgBurn works good as a supported Shrink burner. Otherwise it's burn to the HD and then use ImgBurn with HD files. Nero has so much to offer, I couldn't resist owning that one.