1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for good external DVD drive

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Mangia, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Mangia

Mangia Member

After learning about media types and certain software, I'm hoping to find good/dependable hardware to burn that media. I've heard good things about Pioneer, specifically DVR-S111B External Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer. I want an external drive, but I'd really like some good alternatives to pioneer if someone could help.

thank you,
    Mangia

2. onya

onya Guest

Mangia, Pioneer is a brand that I would stick with. but then again Plextor seems to pop up as another Quality name. Perhaps this is a question of what you can afford. If it's a question of whats best for an external drive, then consider this.... read the info by an external drive, and then "burn" by an internal drive. You'll get less problems. Let us know how you go!

3. Mangia

Mangia Member

Excuse my newbie ignorance, but I'm not sure what you mean???

thanks
    mangia

4. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

the Plextor would be a good choice also

5. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

th

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2007
  6. Mangia

Mangia Member

MichaelP1,

your response appears to be cut off. Could you please elaborate?

thank you
    mangia

7. onya

onya Guest

Mangia.

As MichaelP1 states also, the Plextor brand would be an exellent choice of DVD burner brand.

I think the part you have a query with is in my opinion, is the difference between using an INTERNAL DRIVE to read or write as to an EXTERNAL DRIVE (the USB cable connected). It's been my experience as I mentioned before, that I would use an EXTERNAL DRIVE to read, and so use the INTERNAL DRIVE to write. This combination seems to produce more stable results than the other way around. Of course this IS NOT THE ONLY WAY, but again it appears to be reliable. If you need a more technical explanation as to why, stay tuned as other members may reply.

8. Lambert58

Lambert58 Member

I am in the same place, looking for an external. I have read a lot of pos here about the LiteOn. The LiteOn LH 20A1H?, sorry, lost my note. Are you saying it's better to read ext, and write internal IF you have the capability. Also, curious as to why when I rebuild my desktop.
    Don't get me wrong, not arguing, but interested.